Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 00:17

Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by Joe4322 »

Looking for information on my GF's side. His name was Giovanni. His father was Giuseppe, and that's all I know.

My GM's name was Rosa Zopinna? Any in formation on any name would be appreciated. I have received some information a long time ago, but I have hit a wall.

Thank you

Joe
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by suanj »

I found
Giovanni Russo born on 28 jul 1858 in Bauso( current name :Villafranca Tirrena, Messina province, Sicily, IT) son of Giuseppe Russo 38 old, farmhand, and of Antonia Magagni 36 old

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
click to enlarge
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by suanj »

Joe, I don't understand "Magazu, m Saja" you can explain abt these words? They are surnames or what?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 00:17

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by Joe4322 »

Good evening, suani,

Did you receive my reply? I am not sure if I sent it correctly. If I don't see a reply, I will write it again.

Thank you

Joe
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by suanj »

I don't see any reply, if you can write it again is better...
thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 00:17

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by Joe4322 »

Good morning suanj,

Thank you so very much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will try to be more clear.

1. The (m) was a typing mistake.

2. The names are surnames of my ancestors, (so I thought).

3. My grandfather was Giovanni Russo, birth date was July, 1858. His father was Giuseppe Russo, and his mother was Antonia Magazu, (so I thought). You say that his mother was Antonia Magagni. This opens a new path. Maybe Magazu was read wrong, so the surnames of Magazu and Sajia are wrong.

4. I reached a dead end at my great grandfather (Giuseppe Russo) and my grandmother (Rosa Zopinna). So now I have to explore Antonia Magagni.

Thank you again saunj.

Joe Russo
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by Tessa78 »

Following suanj's :-) find - and using Antonina's age in the record...

Here is the birth of Antonia Magazzù in 1823
#9
Dated 15 February 1823 in Bauso.
Father: Mariano Magazzù, 40, laborer residing in the town at Strada Contara.
Mother: Antonina Sajia (spelled Saja in the index), his legitimate wife, 39, residing with him
Child was born on the 14th at 1 PM at home, and given the name Antonia.
Baptism on the 15th at the Parish of Santo Nicolo'

Here are the names as written in the index...
#9
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by suanj »

Thanks Tessa,
I read the Magagni instead of Magazzù, and to be honest, I read Magagni also on the Birth index, but on the Birth record seeming right Magazzù, and really it is the first time that I ear this surname, never knew abt it....
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Sajia is a knew name, but with Magazu word seemed a bit strange to me... Instead is right: Magazzù and Sajia, parents of Antonia, very well! make sense!
well Joe, Thessa solved the spelling of Antonia maiden name ... thanks a lot,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi suanj :-)

Yes, I also thought the surname was Magagni - and transcribed that way when first translating the birth act.
It appears that the surname Magazzù is common in the comune of Messina.
I have searched for a marriage for Giuseppe Russo and Antonia Magazzù in Bauso (many years are missing) and also for other births to the couple, without success.

Also, here is the birth act for Antonia Magazzù. I inadvertently forgot to post the link :-D

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 00:17

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by Joe4322 »

Good afternoon suanj and Tessa,

Many thanks to both of you. That clears that up about Magazzu and Magagni. So now I know which direction to take.

Unfortunately, I am still at a loss for my great grandfather and grandmother. Maybe I will check Messina as you mentioned.

I will have a post for my mother's side shortly. I was mainly concerned about my father's side first.

Thank you both again. You are special people.

Joe Russo
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Joe,

FYI - I do not find the surname Zopinna in Sicily - HOWEVER, the surname Zopinni exists in Comune of Messina.
Were Giovanni Russo and Rosa Zopinna/i married in Italy?

T.
carubia
Master
Master
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Jan 2011, 12:13
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by carubia »

Magazzù is/was found in western Sicily as well, such as Cattolica Eraclea. Sajia is just another way of writing Saiia, since a "j" in Italian was the same letter as "i." You tend to see "j" used when it follows an "a," such as in names Raja (Raia), Bajamonte (Baiamonte), and Trajna (Traina).
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 00:17

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by Joe4322 »

Thank you Tessa and carubia,

Any information is always helpful. I will look in to Messina for my grandmother's name. Sometimes the records are difficult to read.

Yes Tessa, I would assume my grandparents were married in Bauso. When I was in Sicily, and asked my cousins about them. They did not have too much information. While I was there, they took me to their grave site. That was interesting. They had their photos on top of the marble.

Thank you both again.

Joe Russo
leablack123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Oct 2025, 12:55

Re: Russo,Magazu,m Sajia, from Bauso pre 1858

Post by leablack123 »

MAriantonia And Francesco Magazzu were my great grandparents. They were both born in Cattolica Eraclea. There is a very strong line of Magazzu in Cattolica
Post Reply