Comparing Death Records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
jc93
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 07 Aug 2016, 07:42

Comparing Death Records

Post by jc93 »

Hi all, I am having trouble with two different death records for my 4G grandparents. Their names are Michele Re and Providenza Corso.

I have found two different death records with these names, however, I am having a hard time figuring out if these two documents are for the two people that are my ancestors. Is there anything in these documents suggesting these two were married to one another? Or anything that would link them?

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of supporting information for them other than their names. I have evidence that they were alive at the date of their daughter's marriage, Maria Providenza Re to Paolo Perricone, which occurred on Mar 17, 1863. At this point, I just started scouring death records for every year after this.

Here is the record for Providenza: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

And here is for Michele: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

If there is not enough supporting information to suggest these are the two people I'm looking for, any suggestions would be great! :D Thanks in advance!

-Jay
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Comparing Death Records

Post by liviomoreno »

jc93 wrote: 20 Jun 2017, 06:18 Hi all, I am having trouble with two different death records for my 4G grandparents. Their names are Michele Re and Providenza Corso.

I have found two different death records with these names, however, I am having a hard time figuring out if these two documents are for the two people that are my ancestors. Is there anything in these documents suggesting these two were married to one another? Or anything that would link them?

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of supporting information for them other than their names. I have evidence that they were alive at the date of their daughter's marriage, Maria Providenza Re to Paolo Perricone, which occurred on Mar 17, 1863. At this point, I just started scouring death records for every year after this.

Here is the record for Providenza: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613
This Provvidenza was 24 days old when she died
And here is for Michele: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613
This Michele was 1 year and 4 months old when he died
If there is not enough supporting information to suggest these are the two people I'm looking for, any suggestions would be great! :D Thanks in advance!

-Jay
jc93
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 07 Aug 2016, 07:42

Re: Comparing Death Records

Post by jc93 »

Well, don't I look silly. Thanks for helping out!
I'll continue to try finding the death records and if I come across anything, I'll post here again.

-Jay
jc93
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 07 Aug 2016, 07:42

Re: Comparing Death Records

Post by jc93 »

Hi again! I believe I have discovered the death record for Michele Re.

After about a week of nonstop looking at these records, I think I'm starting to get pretty good at reading these, however, I would like some help reading certain parts of this one.. the handwriting is just difficult for me to read.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

I'm pretty sure this is him since one of the observers of the death was Paolo Perricone, which would have been his son-in-law. Can someone confirm that he died at around the age of 80 and was a fisherman?
I would really love some help reading his parents' names. I can't quite make them out.
And then I notice that it says "widow Diega Corso." Does this imply that this woman is already deceased or he is leaving her a widow?
Considering my 2G grandmother's name is Diega, I'd say this supports this is who I'm looking for. I'll have to get to the bottom of whether or not Providenza and Diega Corso are the same person or perhaps sisters.

Thanks for anyone that helps!

-Jay
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 08:41

Re: Comparing Death Records

Post by datxcali »

Hello.

His age was 80 and he was a fisherman. His father's name is difficult to read, but it looks to me like either Tommaso or Francesco, but I think it's Tommaso.

I can't make out the mother's name at all.

Typically, in these records, look for the word "fu" or "furono" immediately preceding the relative's name. That tells you that they are deceased (look at Michele's father and mother in this case). It looks like his wife is alive. Typically, I've found these notations to be correct. But there was one time that it was wrong and threw me off for a while (fair warning!).
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Comparing Death Records

Post by mmogno »

del fu Ignazio
della fu Rocca Domenica
vedovo di Corso Diega
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Post Reply