Thanks to all of the help of this forum, I have located a ton of documents related to my families history. Now, I've come to pretty much the last document I need to obtain, my GGGF's Death Certificate most likely in NY State.
Alberto Ganci was born in Sicily, emigrated to Streator, IL as Albert Ange, had a few kids, then fell out with the family. His wife Calagera Scurti Ange move to NYC with the kids around 1920, eventually remarrying twice (Montalbano and then Guzzo) before passing away in 1964 (buried in Ohio).
It was previously noted that my G-GF was told that Albert possibly fell on hard times and most likely went to jail, or was killed. Located through this forum was a record of what we believe to be my GGGF's (labeled as Alberto Angie) on a 1940's Census Record in Ossining, NY (Westchester County Almshouse), a poorhouse run by the State. Also located nearby is Sing Sing Prison. But that's where the trail ends. I've searched numerous NY State Inmate databases, as well as NY State Death records and I havent found anything on Ange/Angie/Ganci/Gangi.
Some sites I've searched include Ancestry NY Death Index's:
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=61535
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=9131
Ancestry's Sing Sing Prison Admissions:
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=8922
Any Suggestions??
I sent away for a CoNE Letter about a week ago, and a few weeks prior I paid for the USCIS Genealogy Search Request but that could take months to come back.
Locating New York State Death Record - 1940s-50s
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Re: Locating New York State Death Record - 1940s-50s
Here is another death index for NY and NYC
https://www.familysearch.org/search/col ... lter=false
https://www.familysearch.org/search/col ... lter=false
Reclaim the records (https://www.reclaimtherecords.org) has also been making FOIA request for records and posting them at the following:
https://archive.org/details/reclaimther ... 2deaths%22
These are not indexed but they are working with Family Search to get them scanned and indexed.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/col ... lter=false
https://www.familysearch.org/search/col ... lter=false
Reclaim the records (https://www.reclaimtherecords.org) has also been making FOIA request for records and posting them at the following:
https://archive.org/details/reclaimther ... 2deaths%22
These are not indexed but they are working with Family Search to get them scanned and indexed.
