Hi everybody,
Looking for anyone who can help solve this mystery:
My great grandfather was Salvatore Gaetano, born 5 Feb 1886 in Nicastro, Catanzaro, Calabria to Pasquale Gaetano and Letizia Perri. He has a brother, Frank, born 19 Jul 1882, also in Nicastro.
Salvatore was married in Nicastro on 3 Feb 1906 to Maria Frangiacomo (born 1884, mother was Mariantonia Leone). They had a son there, Pasquale, born 1907.
Salvatore immigrated to the US on 1 Dec 1908 and went first to Pittsburgh, PA then New Castle, PA. Maria and Pasquale joined him there on 13 Jun 1912.
I cannot find what happens to Maria and Pasquale after that. Six years later, on 15 Mar 1918, Salvatore marries my great grandmother, Grazia Cataldi, in Bridgeport, CT (where she is living with her parents). They go back to West Pennsylvania for a year, then live in Bridgeport for the rest of their lives. Sam died on 1 May 1927, Grace on 27 May 1986.
If anyone has any knowledge of Maria Frangiacomo and her son Pasquale Gaetano I would love to hear about it. I can find no record of them, death or otherwise, after their 1912 passenger list. My aunt says Grace used to write to Maria in Italy. Is there any way to find out if she and Pasquale went back to Nicastro?
Molte grazie,
Jill
What happened to: Maria Frangiacomo, son Pasquale Gaetano from Nicastro (Lamezia), Catanzaro?
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: What happened to: Maria Frangiacomo, son Pasquale Gaetano from Nicastro (Lamezia), Catanzaro?
If she went back and lived there until 1936 (a census year) she should be registered in the town records as a resident.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: What happened to: Maria Frangiacomo, son Pasquale Gaetano from Nicastro (Lamezia), Catanzaro?
Can you post the 1912 shipmanifest or a link to it?
I found it
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... PUBJs=true
Marty
I found it
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... PUBJs=true
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: What happened to: Maria Frangiacomo, son Pasquale Gaetano from Nicastro (Lamezia), Catanzaro?
POSSIBLE
Name:Pasquale Thomas Gaetano
Gender:Male
Marriage Date:23 Apr 1949
Marriage Place:Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA
Spouse:June Claire Knauer
Name:
Maria Gaetano
Birth Date:
1883
Death Date:
1921
Cemetery:
Calvary Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place:
Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Marty
Name:Pasquale Thomas Gaetano
Gender:Male
Marriage Date:23 Apr 1949
Marriage Place:Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA
Spouse:June Claire Knauer
Name:
Maria Gaetano
Birth Date:
1883
Death Date:
1921
Cemetery:
Calvary Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place:
Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: What happened to: Maria Frangiacomo, son Pasquale Gaetano from Nicastro (Lamezia), Catanzaro?
Thanks for the suggestions!
Ann: I've never had to actually look for someone in Italy as late as 1936. Are those Census records online anywhere?
Marty: I did try looking for Maria and Pasquale in PA records. I feel like I was able to figure out that the Maria who died in 1921 was not the same one, but I do not remember if I checked out Pasquale Thomas. Thanks!
Ann: I've never had to actually look for someone in Italy as late as 1936. Are those Census records online anywhere?
Marty: I did try looking for Maria and Pasquale in PA records. I feel like I was able to figure out that the Maria who died in 1921 was not the same one, but I do not remember if I checked out Pasquale Thomas. Thanks!
-
Martina414
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 19 Jan 2025, 15:53
Re: What happened to: Maria Frangiacomo, son Pasquale Gaetano from Nicastro (Lamezia), Catanzaro?
I am not sure if you are still actively looking for information, but I can confirm that Pasquale (Patsy) Gaetano that was married to June Claire is not who you are looking for. He was my great uncle, born to Salvatore Gaetano who arrive on Ellis Island Dec. 18, 1913. I was reviewing records & it appears he was staying with a Maria Lucarelli, and wonder if this is the Maria you are looking for? Interestingly enough, my great grandfather went on to have 5 children here in America. Pasquale, Samuel, Antionette, Louise & Mary, raised in Sharpsburg, PA. It’s so sad to me that much of our family history is long gone with passing of our ancestors.