Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by Debn1951 »

I’m trying to find my great-grandmother’s birth certificate. Her name was Concetta Asturia, birthdate 16 May 1860, Ragusa Inferiore, Sicily. Parents Giovanni Asturia and Maria Campo. I have searched Antenati from 1856 - 1865 and have found nothing. In searching other years for other events, I have never come across another Asturia in Ragusa. Were some births never recorded? Help appreciated!
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by adelfio »

1860 May 16 birth record of Concetta Asturia midwife is Giorgia Firincioli

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... sIndex=0in Ragusa

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by Debn1951 »

Thank you for the link - I think this birth record is Concetta Antoci, not Asturia. There are a lot of Antocis in Ragusa and I always get excited when I see one, thinking it’s Asturia, but I haven’t seen any Asturia. Interesting that it’s the same day though! The handwriting back then is so difficult to decipher!
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by adelfio »

May 16 1860 birth record of Concetta do you have the right person you are looking for.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by Debn1951 »

I think that link shows Concetta Antoci, not Asturia, so no, it’s not the right person. Close, but no cigar!
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by adelfio »

Show your father has Giovanni Astoci you have the right info on mother and surname? Let me see another birth record one of the other children right date?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by Debn1951 »

I have the ship manifest from March 1914 showing Concetta Asturia arriving in NY with her daughter Maria Naviglio (my grandmother).
https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/ ... 5pZmVzdCI7

I also have Maria’s birth record showing Concetta Asturia:

antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/Archivio+di+Stato+di+Ragusa/
Stato+civile+italiano/Ragusa+Inferioreoggi+Ragusa/Nati/1888/
246/007859477_01569.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=0

I also have a photo of Concetta’s death certificate with Asturia clearly spelled but I can’t figure out how to attach it. So I’m pretty sure I have the correct spelling.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by adelfio »

You have both Maria Naviglio (my grandmother) and Concetta Asturia have ignoti parents have no name written on sidenote


Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Asturia from Ragusa Inferiore

Post by Debn1951 »

Concetta’s death certificate lists her parents as Giovanni Asturia and Maria Campo.
Post Reply