I have just finished my exhaustive research into my family background and have acquired all of the necessary paperwork to proceed.
But what is the next step? I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before I schedule an appointment to be approved at the consulate. I'm from the state of Pennsylvania, by the way.
I have collected:
-My paternal grandmother's Italian birth certificate (No death certificate because she's still alive)
-My paternal grandparent's marriage certificate and marriage license.
-My paternal grandmother's certificate of naturalization (Naturalized AFTER the birth of my father who was born AFTER 1948)
-My father's birth certificate
-My father's death certificate
-My parents marriage certificate and marriage license.
- My birth certificate
-A copy of my US passport, Driver's License and bank statement
My question is.....WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP? HOW DO I PROCEED? What do I need to get translated/apostilled? Is there a difference between a "translation" or an "apostille?"
Who do I source to do the translations/apostille? I speak moderately good Italian, but I'm under the impression that these documents need to be "officially" translated/approved?
Any suggestions and tips are widely appreciated. Thanks everyone!
I have acquired all of the necessary paperwork to proceed with acquiring Dual Citizenship, what is the next step.
-
Menefreghista
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 17 Jun 2018, 22:46
Re: I have acquired all of the necessary paperwork to proceed with acquiring Dual Citizenship, what is the next step.
First of all, make an appointment with the consulate. It takes a while. Everything else will go quickly.
An apostille is an official certification of a document issued outside of Italy. It’s issued by the state. Look online for the procedure in your state and follow the directions. Generally, you send in the document with the appropriate fee, and they will return it with the apostille.
At the same time, send a copy of the documents to a translator approved by your consulate.
Additional note: Naturalization documents do not need to be translated or apostille.
An apostille is an official certification of a document issued outside of Italy. It’s issued by the state. Look online for the procedure in your state and follow the directions. Generally, you send in the document with the appropriate fee, and they will return it with the apostille.
At the same time, send a copy of the documents to a translator approved by your consulate.
Additional note: Naturalization documents do not need to be translated or apostille.
Re: I have acquired all of the necessary paperwork to proceed with acquiring Dual Citizenship, what is the next step.
Since your grand-mother is still alive, you will need her signature (or permission) and if your father is still alive, his signature as well before the Philly consulate will let you continue.
