First name changes?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
italia787
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:36

First name changes?

Post by italia787 »

Hi,

I would like to get citizenship through descent from a female ancestor, but I've founded that the first names of my ancestor's have changed, and I really doubt there's much paperwork to prove it. My grandmother (who I'm applying through) was born Rosa but went by Rose all her life (no one even knew she was born Rosa til I found her certificate!), and that's what's on her marriage certificate.Her husband (who gave her citizenship) was born Lorenzo but went by Lawrence as far back as the earliest census I've found him in.

Is this going to cause a problem?

Also, my cousin is interested too, and her mother legally changed her name from Katherine Anne to Kathleen. There may be some documents for this - do we need to get them?

Thanks.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: First name changes?

Post by mler »

Lorenzo/Lawrence and Rosa/Rose are not issues. They are exact English translations of Italian names.

Legal name changes should be documented.
Post Reply