Hello,
My father was born in Italy in 1956, and came to the US in 1964. He got his green card, and was later naturalized in the USA in 1987, before I was born in 1990. Can I apply for citizenship through him? Or must I go through my grandfather(my dad's father) for this?
I really want to get dual citizenship so that I can move to Italy and learn about the culture and language first hand, for at least a few years.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Best, Kim
How to get Dual Citizenship:USA/Italian
Re: How to get Dual Citizenship:USA/Italian
Since your father naturalized before you were born, the citizenship line ended at that point. You do not qualify through him or through your grandfather since it is not permissible to skip generations. (Your father’s naturalization broke the line to his father.)
However, if your parents married before 1983 AND before he naturalized, she obtained citizenship automatically, and you can apply through her.
If that is not a possibility, you can go the naturalization route with a three-year residency.
However, if your parents married before 1983 AND before he naturalized, she obtained citizenship automatically, and you can apply through her.
If that is not a possibility, you can go the naturalization route with a three-year residency.
Re: How to get Dual Citizenship:USA/Italian
To clarify, by “she” I mean your mother.

