I am completely new to Italian genealogy. Most of my family tree is French, and as you may know French genealogy is a piece of cake (centralized, no border changes, almost all online). However I have recently interested myself in the Italian quarter of my family, which happens to be my paternal line, my surname. However I have found it very complicated to make any headway in this direction, since the archives (particularly in Veneto) have changed hands from period to period and are not readily available online.
This is what I know:
My grandfather, Mario, was born in southwestern France in 1925 just after his parents' immigration. His father was Guerrino Busolin. I have pictures of his passport, which tells me he was born on the 8th of September, 1892 in Cimadolmo, a village on the banks of the Piave, in Treviso province (Veneto). He was the son of Paolo Busolin and Marina Belussi (or Bellussi), and his wife was Oliva Bonotto, who was from what I have been told most probably from the nearby village of San Polo di Piave.
This is all the information I have, and I do not know how to proceed. From what I've gathered, FamilySearch is the genealogy database with the widest amount of information for Italy. In fact, they have the stato civile (civil registration) database for Treviso province, 1871-1941. However, they have no information for the comune of Cimadolmo. Does this mean that the database has no information, due to say destruction (the Piave river was the WWI frontline) or loss of archives? Or is the archive not entirely uploaded?
Beyond this, even if I were to take manners into my own hands and send a letter to the town hall of Cimadolmo, I do not know what I would ask exactly since I have no way of knowing when or where Guerrino was married to his wife Oliva, and I doubt that the birth act would give me any more information than I already have.
So that's that. Any advice, any tips on how to go on with my quest would be more than welcome!
Thanks in advance and have a great summer!
- A. Busolin


