Finding a historical NYC birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
italia787
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:36

Finding a historical NYC birth certificate

Post by italia787 »

I'm looking for my grandma's birth certificate from NYC (Brooklyn) for a 1948 case. I've done Ancestry, the italian gen database, and gone to the NYC municipal archives but still can't find anything. She had 2 other sisters born in the US, and I looked for them too - I only found the middle one's birth certificate (my grandma is the eldest).

Is there any other way to find this or anywhere else I can search? I've already gone through my aunt and dad's attic, and it's definitely not there!

Would hiring a professional genealogist help, or is there nothing more to be done?

Thanks!
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Finding a historical NYC birth certificate

Post by mler »

Just how historical is this birth certificate? Pre-1910 birth certificates are available at the Department of Health.

However, in the early part of the 20th century, at-home births were often not recorded especially in the immigrant population. You may want to look for supporting birth information such as baptism records, passports and other such documents.
Post Reply