Is an Italian birth certificate sufficient for citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
cleme1q
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 23:20

Is an Italian birth certificate sufficient for citizenship

Post by cleme1q »

Hi,

In 1966 I was born in Cairo, Egypt to a mother and father that were both Italian Citizens. I have a birth certificate provided by the Italian Consulate in Egypt. I am also listed on my mother's expired passport from that time. I lived in Italy for about 2 years before 1969 when my family emigrated to the United States. In the mid 70s my parents became naturalized US Citizens which was also granted to me.

Do I need to reacquire my Italian Citizenship or was it not lost because I never explicitly renounced it?

Thanks
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Is an Italian birth certificate sufficient for citizenship

Post by mler »

Unfortunately, you lost Italian citizenship when you acquired US citizenship as a minor.

The good news is that it is easy to reacquire citizenship lost to naturalization. Check your consulate website for instructions.
Post Reply