NYC Birth Certificate - Update father's name from Joseph to Giuseppe on Birth Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
og1210
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Oct 2018, 22:59

NYC Birth Certificate - Update father's name from Joseph to Giuseppe on Birth Certificate

Post by og1210 »

Hi there,

I need some help from people who have experience with New York City courts. I was born in NYC and applying for dual citizenship through my father. When he came to the US his name was updated to "Joseph" and he used this name for many years until we started the dual-citizenship application process. Major problem now is my birth certificate still have "Joseph Francis" and not Giuseppe.

He has already updated his current passport, SS, drivers license to Giuseppe as of around 4 years ago. His naturalization papers (processed in 2000) also say Giuseppe and his Italian birth certificate also says Giuseppe. Knowing that the Italian Consulate is very picky by name changes what are my options? They already made him change his own name and I have a strong feeling they will make me change his name on my birth certificate.

Does anyone have a lawyer or experience with the one in the same affidavit in NYC? I have been having a hard time finding a lawyer that specifically has experience with this. Its just the first name but I have heard since Joseph was technically correct at the time birth then the courts are likely not to update it.

Any help please this has been a long crazy process.
Thank you,
Olivia
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: NYC Birth Certificate - Update father's name from Joseph to Giuseppe on Birth Certificate

Post by mler »

I can’t imagine why you will need to change anything. Joseph is the literal English translation of Giuseppe. This should not be a problem.
Post Reply