I'm currently looking into finding the Declaration of Intention, or other related documents, for my relative Giuseppe Gargano. On Ancestry, I found his information in the State of New York Petition Index with the following information:
Name: Joseph Gargano
Address: 322 E. 113 St.
Date: 24 Mar 1922
Volume #: 537
Page #: 38
Would someone be able to point me in the right direction to find a more informative document like the Declaration of Intention? I know some documents have photos and it would be such a treasure if his documents had one.
For extra notes, he was born Oct 16 1872 in Sant'Arsenio, Italy and immigrated between 1895-1897 to New York.
Thank you!
Declaration of Intention - Gargano
- mkaykrista
- Veteran

- Posts: 100
- Joined: 02 Aug 2018, 21:16
- Location: New England, USA
Declaration of Intention - Gargano
Researching Italian Relatives : Gargano, Amabile, Tamburrini, Tucci, Casagrande & Musante - the more research done the more the list grows!
Re: Declaration of Intention - Gargano
NARA should have the Declaration, petition and oath.
- mkaykrista
- Veteran

- Posts: 100
- Joined: 02 Aug 2018, 21:16
- Location: New England, USA
Re: Declaration of Intention - Gargano
Thank you Frank! I have been searching for this for quite some time - still learning my way around the search tools. Do you know why some documents have photos and others don't? I was really hoping his photo would have been here.
I actually did contact the NARA several months ago, but they couldn't find anything. Maybe now that I have more information I can reach out again.
I actually did contact the NARA several months ago, but they couldn't find anything. Maybe now that I have more information I can reach out again.
Researching Italian Relatives : Gargano, Amabile, Tamburrini, Tucci, Casagrande & Musante - the more research done the more the list grows!
Re: Declaration of Intention - Gargano
I also find that it varies and I think it is related to the District Court that handled the process. The only sure fire way to get a photo is to obtain the C-files final certificate
https://www.uscis.gov/history-and-genea ... cis-c-file.
The final certificate always has a photo - the only problem is the quality varies significantly from NARA. Sometimes the response time is also very slow. I requested only one and it was a very bad photocopy.
https://www.uscis.gov/history-and-genea ... cis-c-file.
The final certificate always has a photo - the only problem is the quality varies significantly from NARA. Sometimes the response time is also very slow. I requested only one and it was a very bad photocopy.
