Hello
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I believe I am entitled to Italian Citizenship but am unsure if my father being adopted maybe affect this. I think not but would like clarification before starting to get all the paperwork etc.
My Italian great grandfather emigrated to USA in 1909 and naturalised as a US citizen in Nov 1923.
My great grandfather whilst having a WWI draft card did not serve in WWI so didn't revoke his right to Italian Citizenship before my grandfather was born. My grandfather was born in USA Feb 1923 so I believe I am entitled to citizenship based on this fact. My grandfather was a USA GI in WWII where he met and married my grandmother and had my father. As he was a USA born citizen with Italian blood I believe his participation in WWII is not 'revoking his Italian citizenship'. My grandmother however did not return to USA after the war but re married a U.K. Soldier who in turn adopted my father. Would the fact that my father was adopted by a U.K. Citizen have any baring on his and my claim to Italian citizenship? I assume not but wanted to check.
Thanks for any advice help with this.
Italian citizenship - via USA GI from WWII and U.K.
-
PippaCouch
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 02 Jan 2019, 11:34
Re: Italian citizenship - via USA GI from WWII and U.K.
Your father was an Italian citizen through his father and was adopted by a non-Italian citizen.
As long as the paperwork demonstrates that his birth father was indeed Italian, his subsequent adoption should not affect your eligibility.
As long as the paperwork demonstrates that his birth father was indeed Italian, his subsequent adoption should not affect your eligibility.
-
PippaCouch
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 02 Jan 2019, 11:34
Re: Italian citizenship - via USA GI from WWII and U.K.
Thank you for this reply - very helpful indeed!
-
PippaCouch
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 02 Jan 2019, 11:34
Re: Italian citizenship - via USA GI from WWII and U.K.
Hello
I assume that I will need to get a certified copy of my fathers adoption ceritificate translated and apostilled to explain his name change at age four from Dattoli to Couch and explain why he appears with the surname of Couch on his marriage/ death certificates and my birth certificate. I will also get a copy of my grandmothers second marriage ceritificate that shows she remarried and changed her name to Couch before her second husband Mr Couch adopted my Dad.
My question is will I need a divorce certificate of MY Italian line grandfather and my grandmother. There is already proof that my Dad was born of the italian line grandfather and I will have all the relevant docs to prove theme change and adoption? I ask as I am struggling to locate a divorce certificate and I am beginning to wonder if there even was a divorce before her second marriage?! Will this affect the application?
Thanks
Pippa
I assume that I will need to get a certified copy of my fathers adoption ceritificate translated and apostilled to explain his name change at age four from Dattoli to Couch and explain why he appears with the surname of Couch on his marriage/ death certificates and my birth certificate. I will also get a copy of my grandmothers second marriage ceritificate that shows she remarried and changed her name to Couch before her second husband Mr Couch adopted my Dad.
My question is will I need a divorce certificate of MY Italian line grandfather and my grandmother. There is already proof that my Dad was born of the italian line grandfather and I will have all the relevant docs to prove theme change and adoption? I ask as I am struggling to locate a divorce certificate and I am beginning to wonder if there even was a divorce before her second marriage?! Will this affect the application?
Thanks
Pippa
