Ship manifest - Naples to New York - 1905

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
AllisonJordan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 14 Jan 2019, 16:19

Ship manifest - Naples to New York - 1905

Post by AllisonJordan »

Hello! I am looking for my great grandfather. His name in the United States was Joseph Peter Maffi. He came to the US in 1905 from Naples. He was born around 1890 and was from the Riva del Garda area in northern Italy. Does anyone have the ship manifest for 1905 from Naples to New York? His name would probably be Giuseppe Maffi, 16 or 17 years old. Thank you so much!
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Ship manifest - Naples to New York - 1905

Post by Biff83 »

If I have my history correct.....

If he was born in Riva del Garda, his nationality in 1905 would have been Austrian although his ethnicity was Italian. It wasn't until after WWI that that area became part of Italy.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite
Posts: 259
Joined: 27 May 2018, 20:15
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ship manifest - Naples to New York - 1905

Post by EllenCatusco »

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... PUBJs=true

This is from Ancestry.com.. Are you sure about his age?
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite
Posts: 259
Joined: 27 May 2018, 20:15
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ship manifest - Naples to New York - 1905

Post by EllenCatusco »

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... cessSource

I couldn't find a manifest, except the one of a 22 year old. but I'm not sure if this is your ancestor's naturalization papers or not, but this list birth as 1892.
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Ship manifest - Naples to New York - 1905

Post by Biff83 »

EllenCatusco wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 20:31 https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... cessSource

I couldn't find a manifest, except the one of a 22 year old. but I'm not sure if this is your ancestor's naturalization papers or not, but this list birth as 1892.
Ellen, that's definitely the naturalization of the correct person. I'm having a devil of a time trying to locate his manifest though. All the listings I've seen for the vessel Columbia arriving New York in June 1905 show its departure from Glasgow Scotland or Londonderry.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
AllisonJordan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 14 Jan 2019, 16:19

Re: Ship manifest - Naples to New York - 1905

Post by AllisonJordan »

Hey, Biff and Ellen, yes! You are both correct. He was born in 1892 in Riva. (Yes, Riva was under Austrian rule at the time.). I have been trying to find him for a long time and keep on finding dead ends. I had actually emailed with an Italian genealogist who said he had found a Giuseppe Maffi 16 years old (the scratched out and put 17) on a ship from naples to New York in 1905, and his birth place was listed as a comune very close to Riva del Garda. I haven’t heard back from the genealogist since then, so I started to search for this Giuseppe and couldn’t find him... so I posted to see if anyone else had seen it. I am so curious to find him. I have emeailed with the archdiocese in Trento and they do not find anyone with the surname Maffi born there 50 years before or after his birthdate. I’m stumped! I’ll try emailing the genealogist again... he’s in Italy. Maybe he has access to some documents that are not published online? Who knows. I appreciate all of your help! Let me know if you have any other ideas!
Post Reply