Do I have a case to go to court (pre 1948)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
acat05
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 May 2019, 02:41

Do I have a case to go to court (pre 1948)

Post by acat05 »

Hi Everyone,

I've been researching my family history & had previously assumed that no one in my family was eligible for Italian Citizenship, but after reading some pre 1948 cases I'm wondering whether I possibly have a case? My case is a bit different to most people's though


*Great Great GF born in Villa Di Tirano Italy 1838 (either by himself or with his brothers)
*Great Great GF Emigrated to Australia 1861
*Great Great GF Married Great Great GM in 1867 who had previously emigrated with her parents from UK & lineage on that side goes back many generations (this is the important bit)
*Great GF born Australia 1879
*Great Great GF naturalized & became citizen in 1894 (pre Australian federation). However, the record I found is in his new name.
*Great GF married 1914
*Grandmother born 1919
*Grandmother married my Grandfather 1944
*Father born 1946
*Me born 1981

Now I was under the impression that I wouldn't be eligible due to the fact that my Great Great Grandfather naturalized in 1894, however considering he married a foreign born wife & she would have automatically gained Italian Citizenship.. Does this mean that when he became Naturalized in 1894 that she would have kept it, as she was foreign born. Regardless, she would never have needed to become Naturalized as she was British & back in those days they Australia was part of the British Empire.

Your feedback would be most appreciated.
Post Reply