1912 Law

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
mikamo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Jun 2019, 02:06

1912 Law

Post by mikamo »

Hi,

I contacted the embassy recently to get more info on getting my Italian Citizenship through the Jus sanguinis.

I mentioned that my great great grandfather was born in Italy (1878) and moved here with my great great grandmother in 1907 -> my great grandfather was born here in Canada a couple of months later (1907) -> my grandmother (1933) -> my mom (1951) -> me.

I know my great great grandfather naturalized as a Canadian in September 1912 as I found a document online saying so.

The embassy then told me: "Please be advised that it is unlikely that you qualify, since your great grandfather was born before July 1912. Before doing anything else, you should verify with Citizenship and Immigration Canada when and why your great grandfather became a Canadian citizens."

Do you know what I would need to show them to prove that I'm still eligible? But first, am I still eligible?

Thanks!
Post Reply