Emigration to The States 1909 1914

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
baeta43
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Mar 2013, 17:13

Emigration to The States 1909 1914

Post by baeta43 »

Hello to the helpful members of this forum.
My grandfather Giovanni Fallati emigrated to The States in 1915. I have found his passage on the Stampalia all right.
But my cousin claims that he had been in California before that date.
Indeed, it is said on the ship manifest that he had visisted The Sates twice : in 1919 and 1914.
I'd like some explanation about this.
- Could he have arrived through another place ?
- Did he tell a lie ?
This is not of the greatest importance but there may be an answer.
Thanks to all.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Emigration to The States 1909 1914

Post by mler »

He could, most certainly, have arrived at a different port. But never assume that if you don’t locate passage information, that a trip did not take place. I know my mom traveled to and from Italy with my gm, but I was never able to locate the passage documents.
baeta43
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Mar 2013, 17:13

Re: Emigration to The States 1909 1914

Post by baeta43 »

Thanks for the answer. I did find one passage with Familysearch ... The surname was slightly dufferent.Follati instead of Fallati. If I try every possible spelling I might find the second!
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Emigration to The States 1909 1914

Post by suanj »

It could be your ancestor?
Giovanni Fallati
New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924
Tools
Name:
Giovanni Fallati
Event Type:
Immigration
Event Date:
07 Apr 1915
Event Place:
Ellis Island, New York City, New York, United States
Residence Place:
Gerola Alta
Gender:
Male
Age:
44
Marital Status:
Married
Nationality:
Italy, Italian North
Birth Year:
1871
Departure Port:
Genova
Ship Name:
Stampalia
Additional Name:
Maria Spandris

Departure Contact Name Relationship:
Wife
Arrival Contact Name:
Carlo Fallati
Arrival Contact Name Relationship:
Brother
Page Number:
32
Affiliate Line Number:
0009

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply