It seems like Italian women would usually use their maiden last name (even if they were married) when immigrating to the USA. I think I have found an ancestor passenger list, but she has used her maiden last name for the children as well. Her husband already immigrated to the US about 1 year earlier.
Curious if any of you have had this occur?
Married mothers traveling alone with children
-
harleynut97
- Veteran

- Posts: 127
- Joined: 22 Sep 2019, 15:51
Re: Married mothers traveling alone with children
Italian women keep their maiden name.
When traveling, her passport or travel papers would reflect this.
Sometimes the clerk just listed her children who accompanied her under that surname.
T.
When traveling, her passport or travel papers would reflect this.
Sometimes the clerk just listed her children who accompanied her under that surname.
T.
-
harleynut97
- Veteran

- Posts: 127
- Joined: 22 Sep 2019, 15:51
Re: Married mothers traveling alone with children
It's good to confirm that, it gives me more confidence that I have the right ancestor. Thank you Tessa
Re: Married mothers traveling alone with children
Yes, I have found the woman's maiden name on ship manifests, but usually it will also say her destination which is the town (in my case, in the USA) where she is headed and her spouse's name. I hope this is helpful

