Help Translating Birth Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
Swan14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 21 Sep 2017, 22:44

Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by Swan14 »

I am trying to get a proper translation of an Italian Birth certificate. It is from 1901 in Carolei Italy. The person in the birth certificate was adopted, and I was referred here from another part of the Forum in hopes that someone can help me find out if this Birth Certificate holds any clues. I don't speak Italian, but tried to scan through to pick out any parent names. I don't see any father, and where it usually lists the parents just says the mother is a woman who does not wish to be named; assuming I translated it accurately.

I would especially like to know if: 1.) either of the parents, or other relatives are listed in this document, 2.) If not, then was the child entrusted or claimed by anyone to raise? 3.) If not, does it say if the child was a foundling or if an orphanage has taken custody of the child? Does it also explain why the child was given that particular last name? Any clues to finding out the birth parents of this child would be greatly appreciated

The birth certificate is on family search at the following address: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =lynx1UIV7

It should be Certificate number 92, born December 14 of 1901, in Carolei, Italy

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi

When I click on the link it tells me that the record is only viewable at a Family History Centre or affiliate library. Did you save a copy of the image to your usb stick? If you did, upload it here and someone will take a look at it for you.

Angela
Swan14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 21 Sep 2017, 22:44

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by Swan14 »

Ok, Thanks for your help. I have attached it here.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi again

I've made a start here for you. Hopefully someone else will take a look and fill in the gaps in the last paragraph which is a bit hard to read as a lot of the words run in together.

Birth No 92: Nicolantonio Fretta

Birth was registered in the town of Carolei on 14 December 1901

Appearing was Filomena Urrico, 62 yo, midwife, living said town. She reported that at 6.12 am, on 14 December 1901, in the house in Via San Nicola, no number given, from a woman who did not give her consent to be named, was born a baby boy, who she (the midwife) presented and gave the name Nicolantonio, and the surname Fretta. (Fretta means hurry, quick, rush.)

Witnesses to the presentation of the baby and the declaration were:
Pasquale Reda, 59 yo day labourer, and Antonio Greco, 36 yo, attendant.

Margin Annotation: On 14 October 1923, in Pietrafitta?, No 6, marries Anna Maria De Luca

I can't quite catch all the words that are written at the bottom of the record but I am understanding that the child was sent by the Official in Carolei to the Orphanage of Cosenza by means of the declarant (ie Filomena Urrico took the baby to the Orphanage), together with a copy of the current Birth Act, to give to the Director (or person in charge?) of the Orphanage ....

I've run out of time so I'm sure someone else will be able to take over where I've left off here.

Angela
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 06:22
Birth No 92: Nicolantonio Fretta

Birth was registered in the town of Carolei on 14 December 1901

Appearing was Filomena Urrico, 62 yo, midwife, living said town. She reported that at 6.12 am, on 14 December 1901, in the house in Via San Nicola, no number given, from a woman who did not give her consent to be named, was born a baby boy, who she (the midwife) presented and gave the name Nicolantonio, and the surname Fretta. (Fretta means hurry, quick, rush.)

Witnesses to the presentation of the baby and the declaration were:
Pasquale Reda, 59 yo day labourer, and Antonio Greco, 36 yo, attendant.

Margin Annotation: On 14 October 1923, in Pietrafitta, No 6, marries Anna Maria De Luca (*)

I can't quite catch all the words that are written at the bottom of the record
I've run out of time so I'm sure someone else will be able to take over where I've left off here.

Angela
@Angela
"Detto bambino viene da me inviato al Brefotrofio di Cosenza per mezzo della stessa dichiarante, di ciò incaricata, al quale rimetto una copia del presente atto perché si consegni al Direttore di detto stabilimento insieme col bambino, e panni ritrovati presso il medesimo, che consistono in pochi cenci. Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti, si sono meco sottoscritti i testimoni, essendo la dichiarante illetterata."

(*)
Record viewable at a Family History Centre or affiliate library
https://www.familysearch.org/search/fil ... cat=420302
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Swan14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 21 Sep 2017, 22:44

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by Swan14 »

Thank you both very much for your help. I was hoping there would be some clues as to who the birth parents were. If it does not name either of the parents, he was not claimed, and he was given to an orphanage, then does anybody know of any other way I would be able to solve this mystery? Is it possible that one of the witnesses was a family member?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mmogno wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 10:35
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 06:22
@Angela
"Detto bambino viene da me inviato al Brefotrofio di Cosenza per mezzo della stessa dichiarante, di ciò incaricata, al quale rimetto una copia del presente atto perché si consegni al Direttore di detto stabilimento insieme col bambino, e panni ritrovati presso il medesimo, che consistono in pochi cenci. Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti, si sono meco sottoscritti i testimoni, essendo la dichiarante illetterata."

(*)
Record viewable at a Family History Centre or affiliate library
https://www.familysearch.org/search/fil ... cat=420302
Grazie G. I'll take a closer look at this shortly. I had looked to see what the baby was wearing or whether there was a special item left with him but couldn't make all the words out.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Swan14 wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 18:42 Thank you both very much for your help. I was hoping there would be some clues as to who the birth parents were. If it does not name either of the parents, he was not claimed, and he was given to an orphanage, then does anybody know of any other way I would be able to solve this mystery? Is it possible that one of the witnesses was a family member?

Happy to help.

I doubt very much that one of the witnesses would be a family member. Usually the witnesses were just people who happened to be at the town hall that day and were asked to act as witnesses to the presentation of the baby and to the details of his/her registration.

It would be really good if you were able to locate Nicolantonio's 1923 marriage record to Anna Maria De Luca. You could also look for the publication and any attachments (allegati) if they are available for viewing at the Family History Centre, and we could take a look at them.

You might want to research the orphanage and write to them and make enquiries from them as to whether they have any further information in their archives? I'm sure someone could help you with an appropriate letter and the correct address.


Angela
Swan14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 21 Sep 2017, 22:44

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by Swan14 »

Thank you very much for your help. I will do some more digging at the library to see if I can find the attachments that you mentioned, and see if I can find information on the orphanage. Thanks again.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help Translating Birth Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Swan14 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 20:35 Thank you very much for your help. I will do some more digging at the library to see if I can find the attachments that you mentioned, and see if I can find information on the orphanage. Thanks again.
You are very welcome. Let us know how you get on.

Angela :)
Post Reply