Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
sjfrap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Jun 2012, 13:27

Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by sjfrap »

I am having a very difficult time with the handwriting. My Italian is just enough for me to translate the basics. This record is for Nicola Conte and Raffaele Frallicciardi. They were married in Montoro Inferiore on July 10 ?, 1869. His father was Ciriaco. I can't seem to make out the parents or if they were alive or had passed. Or where they were born or ages. In all subsequent documents she called herself Anna.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank,
Suzi
Attachments
Conte 2649 Fralliccardi 6421 M.jpg
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by mmogno »

Can you post the link to the record?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here's the link to the online record: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I'm finding the record quite blurry and difficult to read, even with the direct link to the online record. It looks to me like the marriage took place in another town, and that this is a n extract of the original record that has been sent to the comune of Montoro Inferiore. I can't read the name of that town. If I could, then I would be looking for that original record in that town, in the hope that it is much clearer. Usually a marriage takes place in the bride's birth town, so maybe the poster can tell us a bit more about where she was born.


Edit to Add: Here's the Pubblication which is a lot clearer: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Prospective Groom: Nicola Conte, never before married, 27 yo, Colono, born and living in Montoro Inferiore, son of the deceased Ciriaco, and of Caterina Pascale, living with her son....

I can't finish this at the moment. Maybe someone else can help.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

After having a very long break I've figured out that Filomena Frallicciardi was born in Mercato San Severino, Salerno. Here is the original marriage record with the key genealogical info translated:

Marriage No 54: Nicola Conte and Filomena Frallicciardi
(The side note is just saying that on 12 July 1869 a copy was sent to the Mayor of Montoro Inferiore.)

Married Mercato San Severino: 10 July 1869

Groom: Nicola Conte, 27 yo, Colono, born and living in the town of Montoro Inferiore, adult son of married couple Ciriaco (Conte) and of Caterina Pascale, also Coloni, living with son.

Bride: Filomena Frallicciardi, 26 yo, filatrice, born and living in Ciorani, frazione of Mercato San Severino, adult daughter of the married couple Pasquale (Frallicciardi), Canapaio, and Fortunata Cennamo, also a filatrice, living with the daughter.

Canapaio – someone who sells or produces hemp
Filatrice – cotton spinner/seamstress
Colono – tenant farmer

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

One thing I've noticed is that this marriage record doesn't say that Ciriaco Conte is deceased so maybe he wasn't? There's no mention of a death record for him in the remainder of the record. It only mentions that the Birth Records of Bride and Groom were presented which was mandatory, and it talks about the publications being posted etc, which we already know about.

Angela
sjfrap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Jun 2012, 13:27

Re: Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by sjfrap »

Thank you so VERY MUCH. I really do appreciate your help. I do have one question more if you don't mind. The notation under the marriage record number of the bride and groom says Nicola Conte and RAFFAELLA Frallicciardi. Is Filomena a common substitute for Raffaella? In all of her children's marriage records she is called either Anna or MariaAnna. This has to be the same woman, right?
Again, Thank you so very much. I know how difficult it was to read.
Suzi
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by mmogno »

Birth record for Filomena Frallicciardi. Sept 26, 1843
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

sjfrap wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 16:06 Thank you so VERY MUCH. I really do appreciate your help. I do have one question more if you don't mind. The notation under the marriage record number of the bride and groom says Nicola Conte and RAFFAELLA Frallicciardi. Is Filomena a common substitute for Raffaella? In all of her children's marriage records she is called either Anna or MariaAnna. This has to be the same woman, right?
Again, Thank you so very much. I know how difficult it was to read.
Suzi
Hi Suzi

I believe the clerk has made an error with the name Raffaella in the margin. If you take a look in the body of the record it reads Filomena. The 1843 birth record, which mmogno has found, and I had also found, and was about to post, confirms the name Filomena. Maybe later, she decided, for whatever reason, to use the names Anna and Maria Anna. I've checked death records up to 1876, in case she died and Nicola remarried but didn't see a death record there. Are you able to post the birth records you have and I'll take a look at them later. (On my way out shortly.)


mmogno wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 19:46 Birth record for Filomena Frallicciardi. Sept 26, 1843
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Angela
sjfrap
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Jun 2012, 13:27

Re: Help with Marriage Record Translation please

Post by sjfrap »

Here are the links to her children's birth records:
Francesca: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Caterina: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Bartalomeo: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
She also had Fortunata in 1876, Luigia in 1879, Ciriaco (the line I am following) in 1881 and Patrizia in 1884. I didn't send the links to all unless you want them. But she calls herself Anna or MariaAnna in them also.
I believe you are right though. The priest wrote the wrong name in the margin (but surprised it was not corrected) and then she preferred to be called Anna.
Again, I can't thank you enough for your translation help. I would have been stuck still pawing through the Montoro Inferiore records searching for her birth. As soon as you said Ciorani I immediately was able to find her birth record.
Post Reply