Mescu Yanu

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

In a family memoir there's reference to a man who lived in the hometown in Sicily in the late 1800s and was called something like "mescu yanu".

Any idea what it means?
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

There are two theories.

One theory is that the person threw firecrackers at people's feet and was disliked, so the nickname could be derisive.

The other theory is that the person had something unique about his speech, perhaps an impediment like stuttering or stammering, so the nickname could be descriptive.

Of course, both theories could be true.

The word "yanu" appears to be a diminutive for Sebastiano.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

Any clues?
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by suanj »

Hi,
It could be the dialectal version of MISCHIONE (italian), that is, of wine obtained by mixing different varieties of white grapes, and therefore by extension to the innkeeper who sold it. Or referring to a characteristic behavior of those who meddle in the facts of others. Meddler.

Instead if the nickname is MINCHIONE, tipically sicilian word dialect means stupid, foolish...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

Okay.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

I just came across the word mascalzone which means rascal. That would fit the firecracker man - mascal-yanu - rascal Sebastiano.

Does anyone know whether "mascalzone" can be shortened to something like "mascal"?
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

The firecracker man was referred to by something like "Yanu Mascaru", Yanu meaning Sebastiano and mascaru, some kind of insult because he was disliked.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

I discovered "mascaru" means masked in Corsican.
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by bbivona »

No idea what it means in the context of this nickname. I don't know if this helps you, but in Sicilian masked would be mascaràtu and a mascarùni is sort of a scary gargoyle-like head. You see them on gates, fountains, etc. Both words are also used interchangeably as slang for a clever boy or maybe a sly little guy.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

Thanks for your input.

It's too bad I didn't ask my father any follow-up questions back then and now it's too late. No one else has any idea of what I'm talking about. He apparently only mentioned it to me, and it was just that one time - about someone who knew his grandfather saying he was called something that sounded like "mescu yanu". I believe he also said he had some speech impediment which I took to mean a lisp, stutter or stammer.

Then I read in a memoir about a person named Sebastiano in his town who was disliked because he threw firecrackers at people's feet and they called him something like "mascaru yanu". So, I thought the two nicknames might be the same. Anyway. I know Sicilians used colorful nicknames, and often off-color, sarcastic, etc, to tease or to deride.

The memoir reads:

"Stories often went like this: U sceccuu du Schutinu [the donkey that
belonged to the man from Sortino (Schutinu is Sortino in the dialect)]
yanu Mascaru [he was Sebastian someone who was known to throw
firecrackers at other people’s feet and wasn’t liked because of it] u chianu
di Sanmastianu [the flats near St. Sebastian Church] ddocu na chiazza [there
at the piazza]"

Do you read this as the man Yanu was from Sortino, or as a second example unrelated to the donkey story?
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by bbivona »

I'm a little confused, as there aren't any verbs.
U sceccu di Schutinu yanu Mascaru. The donkey of yanu Mascuru of Sortino
u chianu di Sanmastianu. The plain of San Sebastian.
ddocu na chiazza. There a piazza/square.

I'm not sure what to make of it.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

I suppose it could be:

"The donkey that belonged to the man from Sortino [named] yanu Mascaru [at] the flats near St. Sebastian Church there at the piazza."

He was trying to make a point about their overuse of descriptive words.

If that Yanu Mascaru was from Sortino, then he wasn't my ancestor.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

It's been almost a year since i first posted this topic, so I wondered if anyone new has thoughts on it.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by darkerhorse »

I saw a reference to "mascu" meaning feeble. Does anyone think that was it?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Mescu Yanu

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mesca - mean? Just my two cents here.

Angela
Post Reply