Efficient and helpful comuni in Italy for JS?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Italia1969
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 16 Jul 2020, 02:27

Efficient and helpful comuni in Italy for JS?

Post by Italia1969 »

We are strongly considering avoiding the very long consulate wait (in Los Angeles it's looking minimum 3+ years and they're not even currently making reservations) and going to Italy next year to apply for our jus sanguinis citizenship directly.

At this point we're familiar (on paper) with the process and am wondering what recommendations people might have for efficient and helpful comuni/ufici where we might consider establishing residency and applying.

Thank you so much in advance!
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Efficient and helpful comuni in Italy for JS?

Post by bbivona »

While Italy is known for glacially slow bureaucracy, I got an e-mail response to my request for birth and marriage records within 24 hours from the Comune di Gibellina in Sicily, and they then sent my requested documents to me that day at no cost to me. When I gave my contact a big thank you for the prompt response, she responded, "no thanks needed - it's my job." I was stunned at the speed and professionalism. I can't speak to any other employees there or any other services, but she was amazing.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Italia1969
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 16 Jul 2020, 02:27

Re: Efficient and helpful comuni in Italy for JS?

Post by Italia1969 »

@bbivona fantastic that you got such speedy response and service! Thanks for the insight.
sorriso00
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 23 Aug 2020, 14:29

Re: Efficient and helpful comuni in Italy for JS?

Post by sorriso00 »

I don't have any personal knowledge, but I have been researching, and stumbled on this:

https://getitaliancitizenship.com/the-b ... tizenship/

Also, if your consulate won't schedule an appointment for 2+ years, you can actually hire an italian lawyer to do it by petition instead.
Italia1969
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 16 Jul 2020, 02:27

Re: Efficient and helpful comuni in Italy for JS?

Post by Italia1969 »

Thanks @sorriso00 I'd seen that page, too, and have been considering the legal route.
Post Reply