I am in the process of obtaining documents for my ascendant. My Great grandmother was born Vittoria Ragusano on 25 May 1885 in San Giuseppe Jato. Her birth certificate and marriage certificate both reflect this name. She was always known to family as "Grace" . My grandfather's birth certificate shows his mother as "Gragia Pragusano" . We do not know where the name came from and our only consensus is the name might be on her church records.
So my question is how do I figure out which italian church in the town has the record and how do I get a copy of them?
Name Discrepancy- Church Records
- Edward Keeports
- Elite

- Posts: 250
- Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 22:49
Re: Name Discrepancy- Church Records
It's possible she was Vittoria Grazia Ragusano, similar to how Willard Mitt Romney is just called Mitt Romney.
-
Afoutlaw163
- Newbie

- Posts: 3
- Joined: 28 Aug 2020, 06:02
Re: Name Discrepancy- Church Records
Maybe but her birth record and marriage record indicate it only as Vittoria Ragusano.
-
scaresmares
- Rookie

- Posts: 27
- Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39
Re: Name Discrepancy- Church Records
sometimes names get left of records, or the other name is her confirmation name
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Name Discrepancy- Church Records
Some older civil records of births and marriages in Sicily list the church, sometimes noted in the margin.
I've seen mention of the church where baptism was performed, for example.
Check earlier such records for her family, like her parents, grandparents, etc. for the likely family church.
I'm not sure how far back in the 1800s you'd have to go.
I don't have any digital examples handy to attach but I bet someone else will.
I've seen mention of the church where baptism was performed, for example.
Check earlier such records for her family, like her parents, grandparents, etc. for the likely family church.
I'm not sure how far back in the 1800s you'd have to go.
I don't have any digital examples handy to attach but I bet someone else will.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Name Discrepancy- Church Records
This might be an example from a civil birth record in 1856.
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... ed#p300804
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... ed#p300804