Do I qualify?
Do I qualify?
Hello, I hope this doesn't seem redundant in another post. My great grandfather was born in NY in 1906, my great great grandfather was born in Giungano in 1869 and lived in NY from 1899 until his death in 1915. I am able to find naturalization records for Jan 1911 which would make my great grandfather still an Italian citizen since he was born in 1906 in NY. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is this a viable path to dual citizenship? Thanks in advance, I appreciate your time!
Re: Do I qualify?
As far as I know, consulates are still treating pre-1912 naturalizations as causing the loss of Italian citizenship for all minor children, even those born before the naturalization took place. You may want to check with your consulate for confirmation, but recent postings on the Italian Citizenship Tapatalk site seem to confirm this.
Re: Do I qualify?
I think the pre 1912 date is the big factor, can tell you in my case ICA did not want to use my Great-Grandfather who was born in Italy, but listed he was Naturalized on Census Records up until my Grandfather was born in 1915, though no record was found he actually did Naturalize. S, I'm going through my Great-Grandmother instead. My 2nd Great Grandfather on my Grandfather's Maternal side was born in Italy and did not Naturalize till after my Grandfather was born, but ICA said I can do a 1948 case with my Great-Grandmother instead.
Lastly, ICA did tell me to provide the proof of no naturalization record exists for my Great-Grandfather, might be to further fight the 1948 case in court?
Lastly, ICA did tell me to provide the proof of no naturalization record exists for my Great-Grandfather, might be to further fight the 1948 case in court?
Re: Do I qualify?
One other thing I should mention. Since your ggf naturalized in 1911, his wife became a US citizen automatically without herself naturalizing. Thus, she did not lose Italian citizenship. Italian lawyers have to date been reluctant to take on such 1948 cases, but you might want to ask around. In the meantime, try to explore other lines that might work.


