Hello,
I need to collect a document from Rome. It is complex. None of the major Rome registers seem to have kept birth certificates when my GGF was born in 1854.
He was baptised in St. Peter's, Vatican (they have a record), and the Rome military tried to conscript him (they have a record). Presumably the military knew of him via some form of municipal record...something must exist...
Any recommendations for an agency that could help me to go further to find his birth certificate?
Thanks!
p.s
Previous advice in this group has been 'just show the military and baptism record', but during my fiasco(1) meeting detailed below, the bureaucrat rejected me for a reason unrelated to birth-cert, however when asked post rejection what she thought of no birth certificate she said she'd not accept applications without birth certificate and even would not accept them if they didn't know the name of the mother or the Italian ancestor. I suspect if I meet a reasonable ethical official then this mightn't be a problem but if I meet her again then good to have every document perfect. It is unlikely to meet her again:my law consultant thinks she was probably drafted in during COVID or something..
NOTES:
1.Fiasco
(During my fiasco meeting at the London Consulate in December, the bureaucrat invented a new law on the day, and said 'kids born to Italians outside Italy before 1912 cannot be Italian, even if there parent never naturalised abroad'. You can read about it here:https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 45#p310045)
