Fortunato Aloisio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

Fortunato Aloisio

Post by dannyjosa »

Ciao everyone,

I have been researching ancestors and noted that many possible leads with the surname Josa/Jossi/Josi all had given names of Aloisio Fortunato, this happens for many generations. It excited me as it may be a way to prove lineage to various potentials. I know Italy honours relatives through the naming tradition which might explain why the name often appears, but perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree … i also noted that many others had this given name who don’t appear to be related to my line. The name appears alot but I don’t know what could have made Aloisio Fortunato so popular as a name, there is no saint or national hero with this name is there?

My question is, does anyone know why this might have been a common name? Why is it so popular?

Thanks
User avatar
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite
Posts: 498
Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 22:28
Location: Cocoa, Florida

Re: Fortunato Aloisio

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Danny - As you probably know, the surname "Fortunato" is fairly common in Italy today; it occurrs in over 900 communities throughout the peninsula. I searched for instances of the surnames "Josi" and "Josa" and found both are extremely rare in Italy today:

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... XlHHi-B1qs

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... XlG-y-B1qs

The surname "Jossi" is not currently found anywhere in the country:

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... XlHES-B1qs

However, that doesn't preclude its existence there in the past.

I know this doesn't answer your question; it's just some interesting etymology (if that's the right word).
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Fortunato Aloisio

Post by PippoM »

Aloisio Fortunato would be Luigi (Louis), who is a popular saint, followed by Fortunato, that means "lucky". And people gave such name as a wish at the start of a dangerous life.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

Re: Fortunato Aloisio

Post by dannyjosa »

Thanks for the replies. My question is specifically about the combination of Fortunato Aloisio. I noticed many people called Fortunato Aloisio, with a surname that was a variant of Josa. Do I assume that everyone in this group is related or is Fortunato Aloisio just a very commonly occurring name?

Any idea? Thanks
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Fortunato Aloisio

Post by PippoM »

In what town did that happen?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

Re: Fortunato Aloisio

Post by dannyjosa »

In Rome!
Post Reply