Lucca, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
EllenD
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 20:44

Lucca, Italy

Post by EllenD »

Hello all,

I'm seeking advice on how I might obtain information regarding my 12th great-grandfather born in Lucca. It is the farthest back in time I have ever gotten on my genealogy research and he is probably the only "famous" ancestor I have found. Since he might be considered a famous son of Lucca, I wonder if there might be some kind of public information (not through Google; I've done that) regarding his parents and siblings.

He was born circa 1520 in Lucca. Here is a link to his information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietro_Perna

Maybe someone knows of an email contact for me to try? Thank you for any advice or input.

Kind regards,

Ellen
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Lucca, Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

This bibliographical reference in the wiki link you posted seems like a good place to start.

Perini, Leandro, (2002) La vita e i tempi di Pietro Perna, Rome, Edizioni di storia, provides a numbered catalogue of the 430 editions printed by Perna between 1549 and 1582.

The Life and Times of Pietro Perna, Rome. Written by Leandro Perini in 2002.

And here is an interesting quote from a work about Girolamo Donzellini...

It is therefore worthwhile examining whether heretical physicians might
have favoured these new theories. The story of the early reception of Para-
celsianism in Italy still has to be analysed in an exhaustive way; nevertheless
we know that Girolamo Donzellini was involved in it. In fact, even if, as a
learned physician, he claimed to be a Galenic Aristotelian doctor, he actually
owned many books written by Paracelsus. He had received them from his
friend and companion in faith Pietro Perna, a former monk who had also
escaped from Italy for religious reasons and had set up a printing press in
Basel: Donzellini was Perna’s first collaborator, and for about 30 years he
went on smuggling the books he received from Basel. Perna had been one
of the main early printers of Paracelsus’ original texts and he relied on
Donzellini to distribute them in Italy.
Heresy, Medicine and Paracelsus
https://brill.com/downloadpdf/journals/ ... e-p5_1.pdf

T.
EllenD
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 20:44

Re: Lucca, Italy

Post by EllenD »

Thank you for your reply and advice. I was unable to locate the book but I did attempt to contact the author. Have a good day.

Kind regards,

Ellen
Post Reply