were middle names common/documented in late 1800s?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
babbott
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Nov 2023, 10:04

were middle names common/documented in late 1800s?

Post by babbott »

I've been trying to research my 2nd-great grandfather Rocco Malfa who we believe was born in 1883 in Sicily. I've been going through birth records and military records since all men needed to enlist, but can't find anything. I started wondering if 'Rocco' was perhaps a middle name and he went by that and was wondering if it was common for them in the 1880s to be given a middle name, and if so, would it be documented in records like we do today?
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: were middle names common/documented in late 1800s?

Post by Italysearcher »

I answered this in your other post but, yes, middle names were always recorded in official documents. All men were included in the Lista di Leva but not all had to serve so if you are search Foglio matricolare you might not find him. In fact Sicilians had an exemption for a period of time.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Post Reply