Hi All,
I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to this community in the hopes of gaining insights into the Italian genealogy of my late grandfather, Russell Hall. I am particularly interested in tracing his roots back through the generations and learning more about his ancestors.
Here is the information I currently have:
Great Grandparents: Giuseppe Rovegno (b. 6/8/1873 Santa Margherita, Ligure, Italy - d. 1920 Auckland, New Zealand.) & Caterina Zappettini
Grandparents: Luigi Rovegno & Elizabeth Perini
Parents: Alfred Edwin Hall and Caterina Rovegno
I am eager to discover more about each branch of the family tree, including any additional details about Giuseppe Rovegno and Caterina Zappettini, as well as Luigi Rovegno and Elizabeth Perini. If anyone in this community has any knowledge, documents, or resources that could help me in my quest, I would be immensely grateful.
Additionally, I would appreciate any guidance on effective ways to research Italian genealogy or any specific records, archives, or websites that might be useful in this context.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. I'm looking forward to any assistance or information you may be able to provide.
Jordan
Rovegno / Hall
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Rovegno / Hall
Hi Jordan,
My website has a lot of general information about Italian records and the main websites for locating records (free) also tips on how to search these HUGE websites.
Good luck.
There are on line records for Santa margherita Ligure at familysearch.org and at https://antenati.cultura.gov.it
My website has a lot of general information about Italian records and the main websites for locating records (free) also tips on how to search these HUGE websites.
Good luck.
There are on line records for Santa margherita Ligure at familysearch.org and at https://antenati.cultura.gov.it
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Rovegno / Hall
Here is the birth act of LUIGI Rovegno in Santa Margherita Ligure on 8 August 1873.
The margin notation is for a court correction of the child's father's first name to Giuseppe, from the GioBatta what was written in the record.
The birth was declared at the town hall on 8 August by Bartolomeo Zappattini, 72yo peasant farmer, who was born in Varese Ligure, and was the son of deceased Stefano Zappattini.
He declared that at 10 AM on 6 August was born to Caterina Zappattini, 23yo lace worker, wife of GioBat[daughter of Bartolomeo] wife of GioBatta (corrected to Giuseppe) Rovegno, a 29yo sailor, at their home in San Giacomo... a male child who was given the name LUIGI - and was not physically presented to the official because of the long distance.
#130
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1494914
T.
The margin notation is for a court correction of the child's father's first name to Giuseppe, from the GioBatta what was written in the record.
The birth was declared at the town hall on 8 August by Bartolomeo Zappattini, 72yo peasant farmer, who was born in Varese Ligure, and was the son of deceased Stefano Zappattini.
He declared that at 10 AM on 6 August was born to Caterina Zappattini, 23yo lace worker, wife of GioBat[daughter of Bartolomeo] wife of GioBatta (corrected to Giuseppe) Rovegno, a 29yo sailor, at their home in San Giacomo... a male child who was given the name LUIGI - and was not physically presented to the official because of the long distance.
#130
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1494914
T.
-
PianosiDiFano
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 23 Jun 2020, 02:48
Re: Rovegno / Hall
They had a son named Amedeo born the 28th of september 1879, in Santa Maria ligure.
https://www.familysearch.org/records/im ... eView=true
Unfortunately most of the books in Santa Margherita and in Varese have no index, which means you have to manually search and hope.
I would suggest finding their marriage record! Since Cattarina is so young, they were likely married betweeen 1867 and 1873 (or a little earlier).
I took a look through 1871, 1872, and 1873 in Santa Margherita and some years in Varese but didn't find their marriage, of course I could easily have missed them.
https://www.familysearch.org/records/im ... eView=true
Unfortunately most of the books in Santa Margherita and in Varese have no index, which means you have to manually search and hope.
I would suggest finding their marriage record! Since Cattarina is so young, they were likely married betweeen 1867 and 1873 (or a little earlier).
I took a look through 1871, 1872, and 1873 in Santa Margherita and some years in Varese but didn't find their marriage, of course I could easily have missed them.
