Lose of nationality after divorce

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
Bastaria
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 00:00

Lose of nationality after divorce

Post by Bastaria »

I married an Italien man about 16 years ago and took the Italien Nationality. We have been living around the world and just returned about 5 years ago. Can my husband request the nullification of my italien nationality after divorce?.

Thanks for any information.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Lose of nationality after divorce

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
the Italian law says that you have to be married with an Italian citizen at least for 3 years to get the Italian citizenship from marriage, after that no one can take out your Italian citizenship,
Read below

http://www.italconsulnyc.org/Cittadinan ... m#Marriage

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
User avatar
Bastaria
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: Lose of nationality after divorce

Post by Bastaria »

Thanks Ricardo, but then why do I need the consent or the presence of my husband when I want to renew my Passport, as requested by Local Authority?.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Lose of nationality after divorce

Post by ricbru »

Usually local authority need the presence of your husband to renew the Italian passport if you have minor children
bye Riccardo
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Lose of nationality after divorce

Post by mler »

Just to confirm: You need to be married to an Italian to obtain Italian citizenship, but once you have it, it is yours permanently unless you renounce it. You ex-husband has no input on this.
User avatar
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 159
Joined: 12 May 2006, 00:00
Location: Vittorio Veneto

Re: Lose of nationality after divorce

Post by wishyou »

Just to confirm...
No, he can't. If, at the moment of the request of the citizenship, you had the rights to be Italian citizen, you cannot loose it until YOU decide to renounce.
He can't do anything about it.

"Usually local authority need the presence of your husband to renew the Italian passport if you have minor children"
Not anymore. And anyway, if they had minor children and they are entrusted by a tribunal to her, she will need only the judge permission.
But actually, in Italy, you don't need these papers too.
Post Reply