Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
- oneslowtyper
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 03 Oct 2006, 00:00
- Location: upstate New York
Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
When my great-grandfather came to America, circa 1895, the spelling of our name was changed to Scunziano. From that day forward, all my relatives went with the incorrect spelling of our surname. One possible relative, Angelo Sconziano - born 1884, Montagano, came to NY in 1910 and moved to Waterbury, Ct.
All my relatives in New York have the ScUnziano spelling, while a group of families in Ct. have the ScOnziano spelling. None of us know if we're related, but I think "Angelo" holds the key to tying us all together.
My gr-grandfather's name was Giuseppe Scunziano/Sconziano, born 1871 in Montagano. His parents were Giovanni Sconziano/born 1828 - Montagano and Anna Antonia Cateriani.
My question after all of that is how would I get more information about the half-dozen or so other "Sconziano's" who left Montagano around the same time, and if they are related to my gr-grandfather?
Angelo, Concetta, Gennaro, and Severino all came to the U.S. after Giuseppe, and they are all old enough to be siblings.
All my relatives in New York have the ScUnziano spelling, while a group of families in Ct. have the ScOnziano spelling. None of us know if we're related, but I think "Angelo" holds the key to tying us all together.
My gr-grandfather's name was Giuseppe Scunziano/Sconziano, born 1871 in Montagano. His parents were Giovanni Sconziano/born 1828 - Montagano and Anna Antonia Cateriani.
My question after all of that is how would I get more information about the half-dozen or so other "Sconziano's" who left Montagano around the same time, and if they are related to my gr-grandfather?
Angelo, Concetta, Gennaro, and Severino all came to the U.S. after Giuseppe, and they are all old enough to be siblings.
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
oneslowtyper,
Hello! And welcome!
I hope you'll find the answer to your question here -
we have many folks ready to help.
The question you've outlined so well is very similar
to something we've all worked on at one time or another.
How to connect possible relations?
Do you have everyone's manifest?
Great clues on them: where from, who going to see,
relative back in Italy, etc.
Do you have everyone's census & military info?
Finally, original birth, marriage & death certificates?
All of these records may hold vital clues.
Please let us know what you already have so we don't duplicate
your work!
Thank you!
Valarie
Hello! And welcome!
I hope you'll find the answer to your question here -
we have many folks ready to help.
The question you've outlined so well is very similar
to something we've all worked on at one time or another.
How to connect possible relations?
Do you have everyone's manifest?
Great clues on them: where from, who going to see,
relative back in Italy, etc.
Do you have everyone's census & military info?
Finally, original birth, marriage & death certificates?
All of these records may hold vital clues.
Please let us know what you already have so we don't duplicate
your work!
Thank you!
Valarie
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
g-grandfather, Giuseppe Sconziano, b 1871 Montagano
------------
possible manifest
SS Phoenicia 3 May 1902 Naples to NY, line 24
text version
manifest enlarged
in US 1895 - ?
joining sister Giuseppa in New York?
note: travelling with Paolo Petrone
------------
edit: another possible manifest
SS Roma 14 Sep 1905 Naples to NY, line 23
text version
enlarged manifest
in US before
joining cousin Ma? Giusepp? Lanese? in NY?
------------
edit: and, could this be your g-grandfather
(Giuseppe Antonio Sconziano)?
Joseph Anthony Scunziano
- born 14 Sep 1874 (or 1873)
- living in Brooklyn
- naturalized by 1918
- clerk working for RR
possible 1918 WWI Draft Card
1918 draft card
Also, was your g-grandmother's name Filomena?
Thanks! Valarie
------------
possible manifest
SS Phoenicia 3 May 1902 Naples to NY, line 24
text version
manifest enlarged
in US 1895 - ?
joining sister Giuseppa in New York?
note: travelling with Paolo Petrone
------------
edit: another possible manifest
SS Roma 14 Sep 1905 Naples to NY, line 23
text version
enlarged manifest
in US before
joining cousin Ma? Giusepp? Lanese? in NY?
------------
edit: and, could this be your g-grandfather
(Giuseppe Antonio Sconziano)?
Joseph Anthony Scunziano
- born 14 Sep 1874 (or 1873)
- living in Brooklyn
- naturalized by 1918
- clerk working for RR
possible 1918 WWI Draft Card
1918 draft card
Also, was your g-grandmother's name Filomena?
Thanks! Valarie
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
Hi There,
Further to vj's advice I can only add this..
The only sure way to get prove of whether persons were related would actually be to write away for birth,marriage, etc. extractions from Italy but before you do that you may want to consider checking out the resources available online. Sites such as www.ellisisland.org or www.stevemorse.org are good places to start since they ae free database files where you can view actual ship manifests.
I have done a quick search using the town of interest and these are the hits I got.
Click Here
More Names
Sound Like Names
While looking them over you may find clues such as "going to see brother" or "leaving mother/father ___Sconziano".
edit to the first link..it was mislinked...sorry!
Hope this helps
nuccia
Further to vj's advice I can only add this..
The only sure way to get prove of whether persons were related would actually be to write away for birth,marriage, etc. extractions from Italy but before you do that you may want to consider checking out the resources available online. Sites such as www.ellisisland.org or www.stevemorse.org are good places to start since they ae free database files where you can view actual ship manifests.
I have done a quick search using the town of interest and these are the hits I got.
Click Here
More Names
Sound Like Names
While looking them over you may find clues such as "going to see brother" or "leaving mother/father ___Sconziano".
edit to the first link..it was mislinked...sorry!
Hope this helps
nuccia
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
Did Giuseppe Sconziano have a brother Nicola/o?
Valarie
-------------------------------
g-g-grandfather Giovanni Sconziano b 1828 Montagno
g-g-grandmother Anna Antonia (b 1836?)
possible manifest
SS EMS 9 May 1900 Naples to NY, lines 7 & 8
text version
enlarged manifest
last residence Montagano
joining son Nicola/o in NY
Valarie
-------------------------------
g-g-grandfather Giovanni Sconziano b 1828 Montagno
g-g-grandmother Anna Antonia (b 1836?)
possible manifest
SS EMS 9 May 1900 Naples to NY, lines 7 & 8
text version
enlarged manifest
last residence Montagano
joining son Nicola/o in NY
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
g-grandfather Giuseppe Sconziano
possible naturalization index card
(matches WWI info earlier post)
1894 naturalization record
Name: Giuseppe Sunziano (Scunziano)
Naturalization Date: 17 Dec 1894
Former Nationality: Italian
Birth Date: 14 Sep 1873
Arrival Port: New York, NY
Arrival Date: 28 Apr 1888
Title and Location of Court: U S District Court, New York, NY
Volume: 38
Record Number: 541
possible naturalization index card
(matches WWI info earlier post)
1894 naturalization record
Name: Giuseppe Sunziano (Scunziano)
Naturalization Date: 17 Dec 1894
Former Nationality: Italian
Birth Date: 14 Sep 1873
Arrival Port: New York, NY
Arrival Date: 28 Apr 1888
Title and Location of Court: U S District Court, New York, NY
Volume: 38
Record Number: 541
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
You can write to the comune and ask for a "stato di famiglia originario",
which is the " original state of the family" .
It is kept at the ufficio di stato civile......it documents not just those present in a household at a given time, but all those in a family, past and present, including those who moved away or died.
For genealogy, it is a valuable tool for documenting an entire family unit.
You would need to contact the comune and ask if they are willing to do one, and if so, what would be the cost.
wldspirit
which is the " original state of the family" .
It is kept at the ufficio di stato civile......it documents not just those present in a household at a given time, but all those in a family, past and present, including those who moved away or died.
For genealogy, it is a valuable tool for documenting an entire family unit.
You would need to contact the comune and ask if they are willing to do one, and if so, what would be the cost.
wldspirit
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
wldspirit,
Great advice, as always!
oneslowtyper has their family's town in Italy.
That would certainly answer a lot of questions.
Thank you, I always appreciate learning from you!
vj
Great advice, as always!
oneslowtyper has their family's town in Italy.
That would certainly answer a lot of questions.
Thank you, I always appreciate learning from you!
vj
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
Thanks go to Trafford Cole.......his book is
the Bible of Italian genealogy........
Not only does he have the town, but the fathers name as well??
And I know one of our Italian posters will provide the address and intructions on how and where to write.........
Lisa
the Bible of Italian genealogy........
Not only does he have the town, but the fathers name as well??
And I know one of our Italian posters will provide the address and intructions on how and where to write.........
Lisa
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
I believe this is the address of the comune in Montagano. I hope someone can confirm this.
CORSO UMBERTO I, 37
Montagano (CB) Italia
Tel.: 0874451130
Fax: 0874451460
nuccia
CORSO UMBERTO I, 37
Montagano (CB) Italia
Tel.: 0874451130
Fax: 0874451460
nuccia
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
yes it is, only the zip code is missing: 86023nuccia wrote:I believe this is the address of the comune in Montagano. I hope someone can confirm this.
CORSO UMBERTO I, 37
Montagano (CB) Italia
Tel.: 0874451130
Fax: 0874451460
nuccia
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?
- oneslowtyper
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 03 Oct 2006, 00:00
- Location: upstate New York
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
Thank you all a thousand times over!
I have plenty of information to keep me busy, but here is what I have been able to verify through cross-referencing.
1 - My g-grandfather Giuseppe Sconziano was born Sept. 14, 1873.
2 - He married Filomena DiTomasso on Dec. 16, 1894 - one day before he became a naturalized U.S. citizen.
3 - The Naturalization records show for the first time the unmistakeable change to our surname, when he became a citizen on Dec. 17, 1894.
4 - His father was Giovanni Sconziano - born 1828
5 - His mother was Anna Antonia - born 1836
6 - His first? son was Vincenzo - born Oct. 7, 1895 in Manhattan
Additional info:
When I searched for "Sconziano" in Montagano phone directory, there are still a few families living in Montagano, which should help me out immensely if I can contact them. The only difficulty will be conversation, since I don't speak Italian - BUT IT'S ON MY LIST! LOL
I was told by my father, before he died, that his g-grandfather Giovanni used to own a vineyard in Montagano and had sold it for 11,000 lire and gave the money to his sons that were living in America. I don't know when this happened, but I'm sure it will help tie things together when I get to that point.
Thank you all again, you've given me plenty of work to research before my family reunion in August, 2007.
Sincerely,
John ScUnziano
I have plenty of information to keep me busy, but here is what I have been able to verify through cross-referencing.
1 - My g-grandfather Giuseppe Sconziano was born Sept. 14, 1873.
2 - He married Filomena DiTomasso on Dec. 16, 1894 - one day before he became a naturalized U.S. citizen.
3 - The Naturalization records show for the first time the unmistakeable change to our surname, when he became a citizen on Dec. 17, 1894.
4 - His father was Giovanni Sconziano - born 1828
5 - His mother was Anna Antonia - born 1836
6 - His first? son was Vincenzo - born Oct. 7, 1895 in Manhattan
Additional info:
When I searched for "Sconziano" in Montagano phone directory, there are still a few families living in Montagano, which should help me out immensely if I can contact them. The only difficulty will be conversation, since I don't speak Italian - BUT IT'S ON MY LIST! LOL
I was told by my father, before he died, that his g-grandfather Giovanni used to own a vineyard in Montagano and had sold it for 11,000 lire and gave the money to his sons that were living in America. I don't know when this happened, but I'm sure it will help tie things together when I get to that point.
Thank you all again, you've given me plenty of work to research before my family reunion in August, 2007.
Sincerely,
John ScUnziano
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
Here is a letter to a potential relative already in Italian for you,
just fill in the blanks!!
and the lds provides a great outline for writing request/letters to Italy, also in Italian.....
Hope this helps...
wldspirit
http://www.anzwers.org/free/italiangen/ ... etter.html
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... talian.ASP
just fill in the blanks!!
and the lds provides a great outline for writing request/letters to Italy, also in Italian.....
Hope this helps...
wldspirit
http://www.anzwers.org/free/italiangen/ ... etter.html
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... talian.ASP
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
Johnny; Your father's father, Alfred Scunziano, died in a explosion in Brooklyn, NY at the Brooklyn Union Gas Co., survived by his wife, Marjorie Borthwick Scunziano and four children, George, Joseph, Filomena(Phyllis) and Alfred. His brother was John, sister Fances, Jeanette, Dolores, Anna, not sure whom else.
Where and when are you having the Scunziano Reunion? Your cousin.
Where and when are you having the Scunziano Reunion? Your cousin.
Re: Sconziano surname in Montagano, Italy
Other related names to the Scunziano Family are: Tomasetti, Yankovitz, Romano, DiTomasso, hope this can be of help to you, and from my understanding, they did come from regions in and around Naples, Italy.



