Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

Good Morning,

I'm hoping someone with access to death records in Missanello can help answer a burning question. Let me provide you with the full history.

My great-great-great-grandfather was Antonio Caputo. He was born in Roccanova and married Rosalba Fittipaldi. They had a son, Vincenzo, who was born in 1875. Rosalba passed away in 1877, and the family moved to a small commune not far from there, in Missanello. In 1887, Antonio married Filomena DiPierro, the daughter of Vincenzo DiPierro and Maria Grasso. They had a son, Rocco Caputo, in 1888. Vincenzo also married in Missanello, to Lucia Izzo, the daughter of Luigi Izzo and Maria Giuseppa Berrella.

Fast forward to the 1890s: Antonio headed to America, spending time in Utica and Pennsylvania. In the late 1890s and into the early 1900s, the family began to migrate. Filomena, Rocco, Vincenzo, and Lucia all traveled on the Belgravia, arriving on April 19th, 1901.

Now, here is my question...

In 1906, Vincenzo's wife, Lucia Izzo, died in Utica. Her obituary mentions that she and Vincenzo had a son named Antonio Caputo.

In 1908, Antonio and Filomena applied for a passport to return to the old country. The record includes Antonio, his wife Filomena, and a minor child, Antonio Caputo, whose birthdate is listed as December 1901, born in Utica. I believe this is the son of Lucia and Vincenzo, being raised by his grandparents.

That said, I am trying to locate the death records of Antonio and Filomena. Where did they go? Did they ever return to America? I can't seem to find any records for Antonio, Filomena, or their grandson Antonio after they left for Missanello in 1908. There are a few directories that mention an Antonio Caputo in Utica after that, but it may be a different person. If it is the same person, there is no sign of a death record.

Either they returned to Missanello and died there, or they came back and lived a quiet life in Utica or somewhere nearby, I would imagine. It remains a mystery. I’m wondering if anyone with access to Missanello records has any information about them after 1908.
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by Farassino »

Hi, have you seen this?
This is a baptism transcription in Missanello of Antonio Caputo (junior) born in Utica, USA on 11-12-1902 (son of Vincenzo Caputo and Lucia Izzo) and baptised the following day in the Italian Church of Santa Maria del Carmelo in Utica.
The baptismal act (dated 01-05-1904) is presented for transcription on 15-06-1909 by Antonio Caputo (senior) son of Maddalena and unknown father.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=776875

All viewable online acts for Missanello stop in 1910 but registers from 1911 to 1929 are available to view in Family Search Centers as they bear the key simbol.
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

wow...no I do not have this record! That is amazing. So this record was presented in Missanello in 1909, which matches Antonio and Filomena's passport record. What is interesting is that the transcription in Missanello states he was born on December 11, 1902 and I have been looking for the birth in 1901 because that is what Antonio listed on his passport record. Thank you so much!!!! I am going to St. Mary of Mount Carmel in Utica as that matches our records here as well to see if they have his baptism record. Any indication in the records of what happened after 1909 to Antonio (Jr) or Antonio / Filomena? THANK YOU SO MUCH FARASSINO! Amazing work!!!!!!
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by mmogno »

Marriage Caputo-Fittipaldi in Roccanova on Mar 2, 1873.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=776935

Banns Caputo-Fittipaldi in Roccanova.
Antonio Maria Rocco Caputo born on Aug 6, 1851, to Maddalena Caputo; Rosalba Fittipaldi, born to Modesta Fittipaldi, on May 16, 1854. Both from uncertain fathers in Roccanova.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=776935
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by Farassino »

No. No further indications regarding Antonio in that act.

You could also make an online request to the State Archive in Potenza for the liste di leva and ruoli matricolari (military records) of Antonio stating his place and date of birth.
http://www.archiviodistatopotenza.benic ... ispondenza
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

yes those are accurate. That is my G.G.G Grandfather. He was indeed born in Roccanova. He and Rosalba had Vincenzo Caputo in 1875 and I have all those records. Rosalba died in 1877 then he remarried Filomena in Missanello. What I am really looking for is records after 1908-1909 because we show that Antonio when back to Missanello in 1908. Farasssno just posted the registration of the baptism record in Missanello for my GG Uncle which is AWESOME!!!!! That I did not have and it shows they did make the trip that is reflected on the passport. What I cant find is them coming back to Utica. If they were in Missanello in 1909, they either came back or they stayed in Missanello.
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

mmogno wrote: 22 Aug 2024, 18:24 Marriage Caputo-Fittipaldi in Roccanova on Mar 2, 1873.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=776935

Banns Caputo-Fittipaldi in Roccanova.
Antonio Maria Rocco Caputo born on Aug 6, 1851, to Maddalena Caputo; Rosalba Fittipaldi, born to Modesta Fittipaldi, on May 16, 1854. Both from uncertain fathers in Roccanova.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=776935
Yes these are accurate and I have these records.
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

Farassino wrote: 22 Aug 2024, 18:30 No. No further indications regarding Antonio in that act.

You could also make an online request to the State Archive in Potenza for the liste di leva and ruoli matricolari (military records) of Antonio stating his place and date of birth.
http://www.archiviodistatopotenza.benic ... ispondenza
o I did not know that was possible. Are you referring to the possible military records for Antonio Caputo (Antonio's Grandson)? I assume the reason you mention this is that if he remained in Italy at that time he would have had to join the military?
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by Farassino »

Yes. If his military records are available then you would be able to know more regarding his eventual stay in Italy.
The liste di leva refer to all male Italian Citizen resident in Italy at that particular time and the ruoli matricolari actually prove that they have a military record.
You could ask for both starting with the liste di leva.
If present then go for the ruoli matricolari.
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

Farassino wrote: 22 Aug 2024, 19:12 Yes. If his military records are available then you would be able to know more regarding his eventual stay in Italy.
The liste di leva refer to all male Italian Citizen resident in Italy at that particular time and the ruoli matricolari actually prove that they have a military record.
You could ask for both starting with the liste di leva.
If present then go for the ruoli matricolari.
That is so helpful! Thank you for that. I will get that request in ASAP.
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

If anyone finds anything else, please let me know. I was initially thinking Antonio (Sr) and Filomena may have remained and possibly died in Missanello. In 1909 Antonio would have been 58. I know that Lucia's mother was still alive (Maria Barella). Her father Luigi Izzo had passed away as of 1906 and so I was thinking it is also possible that Antonio (jr) could have also gone with Lucia's family if he did not return with his grandparents to the US.
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

I was in Utica this past weekend to try to gather information. I confirmed that Antonio and Filomena did indeed leave in 1908 and had Antonio Jr with them at that time. He presented to the civil authorities in Missanello and the following was recorded ""The year 1909, on June 15th, at 10:30 AM, in the Town Hall.

Before me, Lawyer Rocco D. Petrocelli (?), Secretary delegated by an act of the Mayor dated May 3, 1905, duly approved as Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Missanello, appeared Antonio Caputo, son of Maddalena and unknown father, who presented me with a baptismal certificate and requested that it be accurately and fully transcribed into the birth register.

I, adhering to the legitimate request of Antonio Caputo, who has an interest in the transcription, have fully and accurately transcribed the aforementioned certificate, which reads as follows:

Italian Church of Saint Mary of Mount Carmel, Utica, NY, United States of America. Baptismal certificate.

The undersigned declares that Antonio Caputo, born on December 11, 1902, to Vincenzo Caputo and Lucia Izzo, was baptized by Rev. A. Castelli on December 12, 1902. Godfather: Nicola Balzano. Godmother: Rosaria Barella. Utica, May 1, 1904. The Parish Priest, Reverend Joseph Formia."

What I am wondering is if there is a birth that was recorded in Missanello, a copy of the baptism record that may have been presented in Missanello, etc.?
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

Farassino wrote: 22 Aug 2024, 17:22 Hi, have you seen this?
This is a baptism transcription in Missanello of Antonio Caputo (junior) born in Utica, USA on 11-12-1902 (son of Vincenzo Caputo and Lucia Izzo) and baptised the following day in the Italian Church of Santa Maria del Carmelo in Utica.
The baptismal act (dated 01-05-1904) is presented for transcription on 15-06-1909 by Antonio Caputo (senior) son of Maddalena and unknown father.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=776875

All viewable online acts for Missanello stop in 1910 but registers from 1911 to 1929 are available to view in Family Search Centers as they bear the key simbol.
It translates : "The year 1909, on June 15th, at 10:30 AM, in the Town Hall.

Before me, Lawyer Rocco D. Petrocelli (?), Secretary delegated by an act of the Mayor dated May 3, 1905, duly approved as Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Missanello, appeared Antonio Caputo, son of Maddalena and unknown father, who presented me with a baptismal certificate and requested that it be accurately and fully transcribed into the birth register.

I, adhering to the legitimate request of Antonio Caputo, who has an interest in the transcription, have fully and accurately transcribed the aforementioned certificate, which reads as follows:

Italian Church of Saint Mary of Mount Carmel, Utica, NY, United States of America. Baptismal certificate.

The undersigned declares that Antonio Caputo, born on December 11, 1902, to Vincenzo Caputo and Lucia Izzo, was baptized by Rev. A. Castelli on December 12, 1902. Godfather: Nicola Balzano. Godmother: Rosaria Barella. Utica, May 1, 1904. The Parish Priest, Reverend Joseph Formia."

What I am wondering is how do I find out if Missanello has the birth register that it speaks about, any other meaningful events, etc. that could help me locate Antonio Caputo or the grandparents Antonio or Filomena.
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

Well I have inquired about the birth record for Antonio in Utica and they say they dont have it. It could be that in that year they lost the record or it was a home birth and not recorded with the municipality, as was common at that time. My question is this, IF my GG Grandfather registered his birth record in Missanello, they should have that in their records, and this could serve as the birth record I am looking for? I dont need it necessarily for my line, but I have a deep connection in trying to locate him. What I was wondering is if they indeed registered it in the birth register, it could contain additional information, such as a future marriage, death, etc. Any possibility to locate that birth register for Anthony Caputo, born December 12, 1902 to Lucia Izzo and Vincenzo Caputo in Utica but registered in the birth register in Missanello?
CaputoBruno
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 183
Joined: 03 Oct 2023, 02:09

Re: Missanello in Potenza (Basilicata)

Post by CaputoBruno »

Breaking news...they found Antonio's record in Missanello. It appears that when my G.G.G grandfather went to Missanello to register his grandsons birth record (Son of Vincenzo Caputo and Lucia Izzo) it was in 1909. They registered his birth correctly as 1902, however they placed it in the 1909 book. so that mystery has been solved. The only pending thing I am looking for now is my G.G.G Grandparents Antonio Caputo and Filomena DiPierro's place of death. I would assume it would be Missanello because they did not come back to the US that I am aware of. If they remained there in Missanello I just need to try to identify when they passed. He would have been almost 60 in 1909, so I would assume 1909-1929 would be a good search range.
Post Reply