I read d’Avia might be a misspelling of another name, like da via.
I also read that Italian surnames might be derived from the first name of the family head. Like d’Andrea.
In the case of d’Avia, would it make sense that Avia (אביה) is the first name of the family head?
Surname d’Avia
Re: Surname d’Avia
Yes, it might be, but only a study on the surnames of that area can give an answer.
Can you show us the oldest record where you've found your surname, or tell us where your ancestors were from?
Can you show us the oldest record where you've found your surname, or tell us where your ancestors were from?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Surname d’Avia
Hi,
Thanks for your answer!
Oldest record which I have on paper (so it’s not traced back) is Cesare d’Avia d’Andrea, Born in Valesella, Belluno. I need to search his birth date. Birth year of his daughter is 1888.
Would it mean “son/daughter of Avia and Andrea”?
Thanks for your answer!
Oldest record which I have on paper (so it’s not traced back) is Cesare d’Avia d’Andrea, Born in Valesella, Belluno. I need to search his birth date. Birth year of his daughter is 1888.
Would it mean “son/daughter of Avia and Andrea”?
Re: Surname d’Avia
The exact surname in Vallesella could be "Da Vià", not "D'Avia".
Check
https://www.piccioli.com/genealogia/ind ... h-advanced
Check
https://www.piccioli.com/genealogia/ind ... h-advanced
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Surname d’Avia
The surname Da Vià is one of the five most frequent surnames in the municipality of Domegge di Cadore, of which Vallesella is a hamlet.
https://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/venet ... adore.html
In my opinion the meaning is ‘from Vià = coming from the place called Vià’.
https://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/venet ... adore.html
In my opinion the meaning is ‘from Vià = coming from the place called Vià’.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Surname d’Avia
Vià is the name of a hamlet in Domegge (borgate di Collesello, Rin, Vià, Sovia, Valmassoi e Vince)
http://www.unionladina.it/sito/aaaaaa-pagina-note
Vià is also an orographical term meaning in Ladin ‘big ledge, passage over rocks for chamois and hunters, rather difficult and dangerous’.
(AngDZ. 28; top. Mezz.: V. séra la Fopa AngDZ. 463, V. del Gonéla 457, V. de le Lastìere 478, V. de la Oliàna 458, V. de la Tàna de ’l Ors 459, V. del enğóon 459; Bosc.: V. dei Fóonk 239, V. de le Gó e 236, V. sora ’l Kolà 12 Fondazione G. Angelini - Centro Studi sulla Montagna)
https://archive.org/details/ladin-2007
http://www.unionladina.it/sito/aaaaaa-pagina-note
Vià is also an orographical term meaning in Ladin ‘big ledge, passage over rocks for chamois and hunters, rather difficult and dangerous’.
(AngDZ. 28; top. Mezz.: V. séra la Fopa AngDZ. 463, V. del Gonéla 457, V. de le Lastìere 478, V. de la Oliàna 458, V. de la Tàna de ’l Ors 459, V. del enğóon 459; Bosc.: V. dei Fóonk 239, V. de le Gó e 236, V. sora ’l Kolà 12 Fondazione G. Angelini - Centro Studi sulla Montagna)
https://archive.org/details/ladin-2007
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Surname d’Avia
Thank you, I already checked possible spellings (da via, davia, ..), nothing. I didn’t know about the hamlet via.
The piccioli side didn’t find any matches, I’ll try again on the computer.
Also, why do they have two last names?
The piccioli side didn’t find any matches, I’ll try again on the computer.
Also, why do they have two last names?
Re: Surname d’Avia
The Piccioli site finds ~1100 matches ...
https://www.piccioli.com/genealogia/ind ... _sources=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Surname d’Avia
I was searching about Cesare, not Da Via in general - this lead to 0 matches. I’ll check it as soon as I’m able to be on the PC, thank you.

