Laori?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ACM7
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 72
Joined: 30 Apr 2025, 22:09

Laori?

Post by ACM7 »

I am looking for the town where my ancestor, Francesco Di Carmino/Di Carmine was born. Laori was listed on his naturalization record as his place of birth. He was illiterate and had someone else write for him so I am inclined to believe Laori was a misspelling of the real place name. Anything helps.

-ACM.
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Laori?

Post by Farassino »

Hi,

Can we see this naturalisation record?
ACM7
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 72
Joined: 30 Apr 2025, 22:09

Re: Laori?

Post by ACM7 »

Farassino wrote: 16 May 2025, 18:48 Hi,

Can we see this naturalisation record?
Yes, I'm sorry for including so little information.
Image There is another document where a child of his lists his place of birth as Naples, but I haven't found anything more for that. I also don't think his children knew much about him since they listed his parents on his death certificate as John Di Carmine and Unknown mother.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Laori?

Post by erudita74 »

Maybe the comune of Locri in Reggio Calabria

Erudita
ACM7
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 72
Joined: 30 Apr 2025, 22:09

Re: Laori?

Post by ACM7 »

erudita74 wrote: 17 May 2025, 00:59 Maybe the comune of Locri in Reggio Calabria

Erudita
Thank you for the idea. I'm not an expert, but I'll do some research to see if the surname or a variation appears in the area.
Danip
Elite
Elite
Posts: 295
Joined: 29 Aug 2024, 14:52

Re: Laori?

Post by Danip »

Laori could be Terra di Lavoro, the ancient name of the Province of Caserta, that lies just North from Naples.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Laori?

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you mind my asking for the name of his wife?

This appears to be his marriage in Sharpsburg, PA. to Catherine Panza, also born in Italy. Marriage took place 19 October 1891.
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collect ... cessSource

Note that is no "Di" prefix to his name on the marriage record.

T.
ACM7
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 72
Joined: 30 Apr 2025, 22:09

Re: Laori?

Post by ACM7 »

Tessa78 wrote: 17 May 2025, 23:32 Do you mind my asking for the name of his wife?

This appears to be his marriage in Sharpsburg, PA. to Catherine Panza, also born in Italy. Marriage took place 19 October 1891.
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collect ... cessSource

Note that is no "Di" prefix to his name on the marriage record.

T.
That is their marriage record. His wife's name is Caterina/Catherine Panza. She was from San pietro in Guarano, Cosenza, Calabria.

Francesco was a man of many names, he used Francesco or Frank as a first name and used DiCarmine/DiCarmino with or without a space, Carmine, and Carmen for last.
User avatar
Primo Mattino
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 107
Joined: 08 Sep 2012, 21:43
Contact:

Re: Laori?

Post by Primo Mattino »

You can exclude Locri because it was called Gerace Marina until 1934
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Laori?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

As the name was probably written down somewhat phonetically, the town might possibly be Lauria, Potenza.
Growing up I can recall the surname Lauria being pronounced ("Laori" without the "a" sound at the end).

Angela
ACM7
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 72
Joined: 30 Apr 2025, 22:09

Re: Laori?

Post by ACM7 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 19 May 2025, 21:47 As the name was probably written down somewhat phonetically, the town might possibly be Lauria, Potenza.
Growing up I can recall the surname Lauria being pronounced ("Laori" without the "a" sound at the end).

Angela
Thank you, I'll do some research.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Laori?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

ACM7 wrote: 19 May 2025, 21:50
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 19 May 2025, 21:47 As the name was probably written down somewhat phonetically, the town might possibly be Lauria, Potenza.
Growing up I can recall the surname Lauria being pronounced ("Laori" without the "a" sound at the end).

Angela
Thank you, I'll do some research.
Hi there

Play around with the following: https://www.mappadeicognomi.it/en/index ... e&s=Search

You can type in variations to the spelling of the surname. Just remember though that the map relates to the Italian phonebook and not everyone has their name registered there. (I see that the name doesn't appear in Potenza according to today's map). You could try looking at indices pertaining to civil records in Lauria, Potenza. I did have a quick look and didn't see evidence of the name in the years I looked at. I'll take another look later.

Best to you with this.

Angela
ACM7
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 72
Joined: 30 Apr 2025, 22:09

Re: Laori?

Post by ACM7 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 19 May 2025, 22:04
ACM7 wrote: 19 May 2025, 21:50
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 19 May 2025, 21:47 As the name was probably written down somewhat phonetically, the town might possibly be Lauria, Potenza.
Growing up I can recall the surname Lauria being pronounced ("Laori" without the "a" sound at the end).

Angela
Thank you, I'll do some research.
Hi there

Play around with the following: https://www.mappadeicognomi.it/en/index ... e&s=Search

You can type in variations to the spelling of the surname. Just remember though that the map relates to the Italian phonebook and not everyone has their name registered there. (I see that the name doesn't appear in Potenza according to today's map). You could try looking at indices pertaining to civil records in Lauria, Potenza. I did have a quick look and didn't see evidence of the name in the years I looked at. I'll take another look later.

Best to you with this.

Angela
Funny, I played around with that just earlier today. I'll do more than just a cursory look, thanks.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Laori?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

ACM7 wrote: 19 May 2025, 23:22
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 19 May 2025, 22:04
ACM7 wrote: 19 May 2025, 21:50
Thank you, I'll do some research.
Hi there

Play around with the following: https://www.mappadeicognomi.it/en/index ... e&s=Search

You can type in variations to the spelling of the surname. Just remember though that the map relates to the Italian phonebook and not everyone has their name registered there. (I see that the name doesn't appear in Potenza according to today's map). You could try looking at indices pertaining to civil records in Lauria, Potenza. I did have a quick look and didn't see evidence of the name in the years I looked at. I'll take another look later.

Best to you with this.

Angela
Funny, I played around with that just earlier today. I'll do more than just a cursory look, thanks.

Good on you. Happy to help. I haven't a chance to take another look at the Lauria indices but will do so later. Am juggling a few things at the moment.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Laori?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi again

I went through the death indices from 1900-1910 but didn't see any evidence of the names Carmine, Carmino, di carmine etc there in Lauria.

Angela
Post Reply