Latin marriage record: No father? Surname change? (LA TERRA)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
LLLLL
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 13 Nov 2025, 17:42
Location: USA

Latin marriage record: No father? Surname change? (LA TERRA)

Post by LLLLL »

I'm looking at the processetti for the marriage of Francesco Dierna & Teresa Veca. Processetti document #6 is listed as "Nell'atto di matrimonio del padre dello sposo d'onde resulta d'essere ignoto l'avo paterno dello sposo".

Trying to read it, what I've got is: "Marius la Terra [h?] filius natum Josepha Dierna, et Angela Tomasi [etia?] [h?] filia [ya?] [ea]? [ger?] Oriatii Tomasi, et [Zog?] Sanzone" (emphasis mine)

Elsewhere, Mario's surname is listed as Dierna, not la Terra (e.g. in his wife's death record in the same processetti packet); and his children have the surname Dierna.

Some unrelated la Terra records: In some cases I've seen other la Terra individuals with unknown parents, and here's a record from a different family where the father is named LaTerra and the son takes the mother's surname. But I've also seen la Terras who seem to follow typical surname practices.

- What's going on with Mario's surname?
- Am I missing important info in the Latin abbreviations/small words or elsewhere in the document?
- Am I correct in reading Mario's parent as [mother] Giuseppa, rather than [father] Giuseppe?
- Is Giuseppa his birth mother or adoptive mother?

- Also helpful: What is Angela Tomasi's mother's name? And what is the date of the Latin marriage - there's a lot of numbers and months at the top and I can't read the context.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Latin marriage record: No father? Surname change? (LA TERRA)

Post by PippoM »

LLLLL wrote: 22 Jan 2026, 00:51
Trying to read it, what I've got is: "Marius la Terra [h?] filius natum Josepha Dierna, et Angela Tomasi [etia?] [h?] filia [ya?] [ea]? [ger?] Oriatii Tomasi, et [Zog?] Sanzone" (emphasis mine)

Elsewhere, Mario's surname is listed as Dierna, not la Terra (e.g. in his wife's death record in the same processetti packet); and his children have the surname Dierna.
Mario is said to be the natural (but not legitimate) child of Giuseppa. That means she was not married.
I've found several times, in XVIII century, but I don't know if that's an actual rule, that children of unmarried women were given invented surnames.
I'd say Angela's mother was Giuseppa, too.
The date of marriage is on top: Dec 5, 1713. The others are the dates banns were posted.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Latin marriage record: No father? Surname change? (LA TERRA)

Post by erudita74 »

Pippo

I’m reading the date as Dec 5, 1773, not 1713, based on the Latin written words for the year. I also think Angela’s mother is Giuseppa, surname written as Zanzone, currently Sanzone in Comiso.

Erudita
Post Reply