Immigration Question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
tomasetti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 07 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Boston

Immigration Question

Post by tomasetti »

Hello...I think I came accross the records of my great grand dad. However, the year listed on his census as year immigrated is almost six before the record I found him coming in through Ellis Island.

I guess as a general question, did people immigrate while still in teens and then actually come to America several years later. Does that make sense?
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Immigration Question

Post by nuccia »

Not sure I'm understanding your question but people (especially males) often immigrated in their teens. They also often made more than one trip so its possible his immigration date is closer to a first trip. Of course, census records were often wrong anyway.

Hope this answers your question.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
tomasetti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 07 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Boston

Re: Immigration Question

Post by tomasetti »

Thanks! It does help! :D
Post Reply