I'm applying for dual U.S./Italian citizenship (San Francisco Italian Consulate). All of my state-issued certificates (birth, marriage, death) have apostilles.
My grandfather only has a baptismal certificate (no birth record). I've got an official baptismal certificate with raised seal showing birth date, place, and parent's names. It's issued by the Roman Catholic Diocese in Baltimore. Does it need an apostille too? Or, do chruch records need an apostille?
Thanks.
-Tony Reina
Is an apostille needed for a baptismal certificate?
Re: Is an apostille needed for a baptismal certificate?
It is my understanding that all documents originating in the U.S. (with the exception of naturalization documents) require apostilles.
- Nello-LosAngeles
- Rookie

- Posts: 71
- Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 00:00
Re: Is an apostille needed for a baptismal certificate?
Hi Tony,
You pose an iteresting question. I am new to this and am also applying for citizenship. First, I don't know if a baptisimal record would be acceptible to the consulate. Perhaps you should ask them. Secondly, isn't an apostille a state certification that the record is valid? Therefore, can the state apply an apostille to it? If they can wouldn't it have to be done in Maryland?
Let us know what you find out.
Nello
You pose an iteresting question. I am new to this and am also applying for citizenship. First, I don't know if a baptisimal record would be acceptible to the consulate. Perhaps you should ask them. Secondly, isn't an apostille a state certification that the record is valid? Therefore, can the state apply an apostille to it? If they can wouldn't it have to be done in Maryland?
Let us know what you find out.
Nello

