Hello, I have my mother's baptism and confirmation certificate from Parrocchia Santi Apostoli Pietro E Paolo in Accadia. I would like to write to the church asking for copies of any other family member documents they have have on file. What sort (cash?)of donation and how much should I send?
Are cemeteries usually near the church?
Also, I have my mother's birth certificate titled Comune di Accadia. Would I write to them for additional family research or to the province? Also, what sort (cash?) payment and how much should I send?
I was going to go to a translation site and type my request in English and have it translated into Italian. I take it this will make sense to them?
Thank you so much.
Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.
Re: Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.
Lets try this one more time..I keep losing my posts today for some reason.
Hope this helps.
You can try writing to the Church. Whether or not they will help is anyone's guess. You can make a donation but be careful when sending cash. Money has been known to go missing in transit, but any other form of payment isn't suggested in my opinion. Send what you can. Anything is better than nothing but I think $20.00 should be a reasonable donation. Perhaps someone can offer their thoughts.Bott0131 wrote:Hello, I have my mother's baptism and confirmation certificate from Parrocchia Santi Apostoli Pietro E Paolo in Accadia. I would like to write to the church asking for copies of any other family member documents they have have on file. What sort (cash?)of donation and how much should I send?
Are cemeteries usually near the church?
The Comune will provide records for family members if you have names of siblings no charge (and of course if you don't ask for several at once). If you don't, then you will need to request the Certificato storico di famiglia for your Grandparents. The Comune is not obligated to do this type of research, but if they do, they will more than likely charge for the info. I wouldn't send any money up front. I would wait for them to tell you the amount first. Mine was 5 euro's for each family memeber found (including parents) and a 10 euro genealogy tax. Each comune is different.Bott0131 wrote:Also, I have my mother's birth certificate titled Comune di Accadia. Would I write to them for additional family research or to the province? Also, what sort (cash?) payment and how much should I send?
I would write your letter in English and ask someone here in the translation board to help translate it. The automatic translators are horrible and the standard form letters are just that..standard.Bott0131 wrote:I was going to go to a translation site and type my request in English and have it translated into Italian. I take it this will make sense to them?
Thank you so much.
Hope this helps.
Re: Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.
Bott0131 wrote:Hello, I have my mother's baptism and confirmation certificate from Parrocchia Santi Apostoli Pietro E Paolo in Accadia. I would like to write to the church asking for copies of any other family member documents they have have on file. What sort (cash?)of donation and how much should I send?
Are cemeteries usually near the church?
Also, I have my mother's birth certificate titled Comune di Accadia. Would I write to them for additional family research or to the province? Also, what sort (cash?) payment and how much should I send?
I was going to go to a translation site and type my request in English and have it translated into Italian. I take it this will make sense to them?
Thank you so much.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.
I suggest you write to the priest asking if there is a parishioner who would undertake to do some research for you in the parish records. Indicate that you would be willing to pay this person for their time, and/or make a donation to the parish.
There are two parishes in my area who have persons who do this.
There are two parishes in my area who have persons who do this.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.
Thats an excellent idea, Ann! I think I may even try that route... 
Re: Writing to a Parish for ancestor names and dates.
Thank you so much everyone. That is truly a great way to start.Italysearcher wrote:I suggest you write to the priest asking if there is a parishioner who would undertake to do some research for you in the parish records. Indicate that you would be willing to pay this person for their time, and/or make a donation to the parish.
There are two parishes in my area who have persons who do this.


