italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by pink67 »

Grazie Riccardo per l'utilissima segnalazione... :D

Laura
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by ricbru »

piacere mioa
ciao Riccardo
pink67 wrote:Grazie Riccardo per l'utilissima segnalazione... :D

Laura
User avatar
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 20:50

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by ddevirgilio »

I just want to thank you, Ricardo, for supplying this link. I learned of it in this other thread.
User avatar
alanohio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 May 2010, 16:15

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by alanohio »

Not sure if anyone can help me here, but I'm trying to research my great grandfather named Ezaia or Isaiah Costa, died in 1915 and I believe he's from Milan. My grandfather never mentioned how/why he died but I've always suspected in WW1. He was married to a Lodomilla Mazzuchelli (1863-1943) from Milan (immigrated in 1920 and died in Cleveland, Ohio).

Although I am 2nd generation Italian-American, I do not write in Italian so my options are limited from what I read here concerning writing to Italy.

Any leads you might be able to suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Al
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Small factoid: Italy lost nearly as many civilians in WWI as she did military personnel 589,000 vs. 651,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
alanohio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 May 2010, 16:15

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by alanohio »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Small factoid: Italy lost nearly as many civilians in WWI as she did military personnel 589,000 vs. 651,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties
I did think of that, but since he died in 1915, that was only at most 6 months into the war. If he was actually in the army, he would have been involved in the early battle of the Isonzo River (Jun-Dec).

Al
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by ricbru »

The battles on the Isonzo River were 12.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
alanohio wrote:
johnnyonthespot wrote:Small factoid: Italy lost nearly as many civilians in WWI as she did military personnel 589,000 vs. 651,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties
I did think of that, but since he died in 1915, that was only at most 6 months into the war. If he was actually in the army, he would have been involved in the early battle of the Isonzo River (Jun-Dec).

Al
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by ricbru »

Hello, I suggest you to send an email to Mr. Nicola Fontana, archivist of Rovereto war musem. He keeps the list of WW1 italian death soldiers

write this way

Re: Ezaia o Isaia COSTA morto nel 1915 - da Milano

"Egregio sig. Fontana,
mi chiamo (your complete name) e scrivo da (town, country and state where you live).
Desidero sapere se nella Albo d'oro della Lombardia, esistono informazioni sul mio bisnonno:

Ezaia o Isaia COSTA morto nel 1915, nato a Milano

Rimango in attesa di riscontro e porgo distinti saluti

(your complete name)
alanohio wrote:Not sure if anyone can help me here, but I'm trying to research my great grandfather named Ezaia or Isaiah Costa, died in 1915 and I believe he's from Milan. My grandfather never mentioned how/why he died but I've always suspected in WW1. He was married to a Lodomilla Mazzuchelli (1863-1943) from Milan (immigrated in 1920 and died in Cleveland, Ohio).

Although I am 2nd generation Italian-American, I do not write in Italian so my options are limited from what I read here concerning writing to Italy.

Any leads you might be able to suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Al
User avatar
alanohio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 May 2010, 16:15

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by alanohio »

Riccardo, thank you so much for your guidance AND the document! It is greatly appreciated :)
Al
ricbru wrote:Hello, I suggest you to send an email to Mr. Nicola Fontana, archivist of Rovereto war musem. He keeps the list of WW1 italian death soldiers

write this way

Re: Ezaia o Isaia COSTA morto nel 1915 - da Milano

"Egregio sig. Fontana,
mi chiamo (your complete name) e scrivo da (town, country and state where you live).
Desidero sapere se nella Albo d'oro della Lombardia, esistono informazioni sul mio bisnonno:

Ezaia o Isaia COSTA morto nel 1915, nato a Milano

Rimango in attesa di riscontro e porgo distinti saluti

(your complete name)
alanohio wrote:Not sure if anyone can help me here, but I'm trying to research my great grandfather named Ezaia or Isaiah Costa, died in 1915 and I believe he's from Milan. My grandfather never mentioned how/why he died but I've always suspected in WW1. He was married to a Lodomilla Mazzuchelli (1863-1943) from Milan (immigrated in 1920 and died in Cleveland, Ohio).

Although I am 2nd generation Italian-American, I do not write in Italian so my options are limited from what I read here concerning writing to Italy.

Any leads you might be able to suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Al
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by ricbru »

it is my pleasure, let me know when you receive his reply
bye Riccardo
alanohio wrote:Riccardo, thank you so much for your guidance AND the document! It is greatly appreciated :)
Al
ricbru wrote:Hello, I suggest you to send an email to Mr. Nicola Fontana, archivist of Rovereto war musem. He keeps the list of WW1 italian death soldiers

write this way

Re: Ezaia o Isaia COSTA morto nel 1915 - da Milano

"Egregio sig. Fontana,
mi chiamo (your complete name) e scrivo da (town, country and state where you live).
Desidero sapere se nella Albo d'oro della Lombardia, esistono informazioni sul mio bisnonno:

Ezaia o Isaia COSTA morto nel 1915, nato a Milano

Rimango in attesa di riscontro e porgo distinti saluti

(your complete name)
alanohio wrote:Not sure if anyone can help me here, but I'm trying to research my great grandfather named Ezaia or Isaiah Costa, died in 1915 and I believe he's from Milan. My grandfather never mentioned how/why he died but I've always suspected in WW1. He was married to a Lodomilla Mazzuchelli (1863-1943) from Milan (immigrated in 1920 and died in Cleveland, Ohio).

Although I am 2nd generation Italian-American, I do not write in Italian so my options are limited from what I read here concerning writing to Italy.

Any leads you might be able to suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Al
User avatar
Sanguinetti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: 25 Apr 2010, 21:22

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by Sanguinetti »

How do I find a list of soldiers that participated in WWI but not died?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by ricbru »

Well, there is not list of soldiers that partecipated but not died.
Because we are talking about 6 - 7 million young italian guys who had to leave for WWI.
650.000 didn't come bakc home, and a couple of millions came home with wounds.
What are you looking for?
please let me know, happy to help you
bye riccardo
Sanguinetti wrote:How do I find a list of soldiers that participated in WWI but not died?
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by Squigy »

ricbru wrote:Well, there is not list of soldiers that partecipated but not died.
Because we are talking about 6 - 7 million young italian guys who had to leave for WWI.
650.000 didn't come bakc home, and a couple of millions came home with wounds.
What are you looking for?
please let me know, happy to help you
bye riccardo
Sanguinetti wrote:How do I find a list of soldiers that participated in WWI but not died?
Thank you so much for the link! I found a man who is very likely my cousin. Do you have any advice on how to find men who survived WWI? I have an uncle (Michele Maietta) who was in WWI. All I know is that he was wounded and was awarded two medals. Any advice on finding him would be great.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by ricbru »

well if you have the infos about him, I can help you to write to defense ministry and it will give you the all infos about the two medals
bye Riccardo
User avatar
Squigy
Master
Master
Posts: 724
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 06:05
Location: Texas, USA (Born in Pennsylvania)

Re: italian soldiers died in WW1 and WW2

Post by Squigy »

ricbru wrote:well if you have the infos about him, I can help you to write to defense ministry and it will give you the all infos about the two medals
bye Riccardo
That would be great. His name is Michele Maietta, born 1885 in the Comune of Marcianise. I'm not sure what years he was in the war....I know he went back to Italy in 1915. Where would I go from here?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Post Reply