Commune doesn't like my last name?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
Marco925
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 May 2009, 04:43

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by Marco925 »

VittorioE wrote:Question ... is your name hyphenated on your birth certificate?
Yes.
User avatar
Marco925
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 May 2009, 04:43

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by Marco925 »

Nothing? what do you guys think?
User avatar
kontessa
Elite
Elite
Posts: 304
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 19:05

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by kontessa »

Marco925 wrote: I have a Hyphenated name and the Commune doesn't seem to want to accept it.
Have you received any official instructions about this or a rejection in writing? Is the consulate telling you that your name is unacceptable or the comune? I believe that according to specific guidelines, you must be informed in writing when there are problems/deficiencies with your case (and within a set period of time, too). Once you have an official rejection or instructions then you can try to find and use the Italian laws on the books in re to naming of children, the guidelines for transcription of names into records (stato civile), etc.. to support your case. Sometimes people have had to produce the paperwork (guidelines/laws) to set the comune straight, or consular officials.

If this doesn't work, you can always try applying in Italy in a more case-friendly comune.
User avatar
Marco925
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 May 2009, 04:43

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by Marco925 »

No, the commune is terrible with communication, the consulate seemed to accept it just fine, but the commune caused the problem, i had to drive all the way to toronto just to find out this because Nobody communicates with me. My mom and brother have received it from verifying. but i'm the one with the different last name.
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I haven't had this problem myself, so I'm no expert on this, but I think - worse comes to worse - you'll end up with your dad's last name only for official Italian purposes and your hyphenated name in Canada. I don't see them denying you citizenship on these grounds.

And, I feel for you on the lack of communication, maddening at times, no?
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
User avatar
Marco925
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 May 2009, 04:43

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by Marco925 »

Extremely. a town of 3000 people, you would expect they wouldn't be so busy to give me a shout.
User avatar
Marco925
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 May 2009, 04:43

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by Marco925 »

Hey guys bit of an update, I decided to run by the consulate today in Toronto another time to see what was going on as they told me they would call me, but they never did (not surprised)

It turns out the appeal i sent last time Worked.

I Now am carrying my passport WITH the hyphenated name. No amendments and stuff. however you guys were very helpful.

I now have closure in this part of my life. Thank You Everyone!
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Great news, Marco. Glad to hear it all worked out for you!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by jennabet »

Congratulations! You received a nice Christmas present from Italy.
User avatar
Marco925
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 May 2009, 04:43

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by Marco925 »

jennabet wrote:Congratulations! You received a nice Christmas present from Italy.
Indeed!

Image
User avatar
qnana
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 21:03

Re: Commune doesn't like my last name?

Post by qnana »

troyjaco-

I sent you a pm

qnana
Post Reply