enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
Location: California

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by GlobeTrotter »

Thanks Debbie,

Just one last question. I've been to the USCIS website, but I'm not exactly sure how to file a FOIA or who exactly I must contact there.
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by VaDeb »

Sorry, I thought I gave you that link, but I left it out.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm
User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
Location: California

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by GlobeTrotter »

Hi Debbie, it's me again. Hope I'm not taking up too much of your time, but just had a couple more questions in regards to filling out the G-639 papers that I downloaded from the website you gave me.
In section 4 of the application it asks for specific information, documents or records desired (and to identify them by name, date, subject matter and location). Which information/documents do I need to request in order to find out which city Joseph came from?

Thanks again!

Mark
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by VaDeb »

Request copy of entire file. Especially declaration of intent and application for naturalization. Provide all information you have. Known address and any numbers from the naturalizatoin paper work you have.


This is also a privacy request. Need to complete this secion.
User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
Location: California

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by GlobeTrotter »

Hi Debbie,

I just have a question regarding apostilles. What are they and how do I obtain them? I already have certified copies of most documents, does that still mean I need an apostille on them? Can I send in any original documents?

Thanks for the help!

Mark
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Mark,

I do not have any experience with applying for Italian citizenship. There are websites that deal with that issue. I don't have them book marked, but Wildspirt has frequently listed them. Searching though some posts should reveal them.

I do know (from reading) that apostilles are required on all US documents, even certified ones. The apostille, I believe is done by the state that the documents originate in. Some states have time limits on how long they will do this, like only 2 years from the date the document was issued. You also need to check with the Italian embassy that will handle the application. Some require all US documents to be translated by one of their approved translators.

Good luck and let us know if you are successful - after you find that birth record for your ancestor.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by mfjp »

Followed this post from the beginning, and am always impressed at Debbie’s information.

I am taking a chance here by posting this info... just don’t want to send you on a wild goose chase as I did to myself... I found another family earlier on... same father’s name... same children’s name... a family of barbers... but they weren’t yours...

But here is another family...
-----------
Town of interest....

City of Racalmuto: Sicily Region
Region Sicily
Province Agrigento (AG)
Zone Insular Italy

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/084/029/
--------------------------------------------------
Manifests of Interest....

Father and son voyage... Giuseppe who travels with son Salvatore - off to PA to join son Giuseppe....

First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Marchese
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Girgenti
Date of Arrival: June 14, 1904
Age at Arrival:  58    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Napolitan Prince
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0015

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2537024501&

--------------------------------------------------
Giuseppe is off to join his brother Salvatore... at this time, father Giuseppe may have returned to Italy...

First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Marchese
Ethnicity: Italy-Italian (South)
Last Place of Residence: Racalmuta, Girgenta, Italy (as transcribed)
Date of Arrival: April 08, 1911
Age at Arrival:  30y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Princess Irene
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0026

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0515%2ETIF

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1102040927

--------------------------------------------
Am hoping that this family could be yours... and if it ain’t ... we just keep on looking... :P

mfjp
User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
Location: California

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by GlobeTrotter »

Those are very interesting manifests you've discovered!! And the first one could very well be my family, too! I just can't quite make out the city or town they were headed to in PA on the first link you gave me. Maybe founding that out would help us to confirm if it's the right one.
Thank you so much for your efforts to help track down my family!! :D

Mark
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by mfjp »

Rossiter, PA :?:

Years ago... when two S's were side by side... the second S looked very much like an F...

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/244/patown3fi.jpg

This Handwriting site helps...

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/Handwriting.htm

Here's a driving map of Rossiter PA to Miners Mills...

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... &2s=PA&2z=

mfjp
User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
Location: California

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by GlobeTrotter »

Maybe my great grandfather (Joseph) lived there in Rossiter for a while before eventually residing in Miners' Mills? What we know is that Joseph must have been in Miners Mills by 1915 because of WWI registry and definitely by 1920 because of the census records for that area. Hmm...how far back can we find census records in PA? Maybe we could compare the census records of Rossiter and Miners Mills. If we find a Joseph Marchese in both at the same time, then I guess we'll know that they must have been different people.
Thanks again for the help:)
User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
Location: California

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by GlobeTrotter »

The Naturalization papers for Giuseppe and Maria finally arrived from the archives today!!! :D There are nine pages total, so a lot of information. Here are some of the new facts:

Giuseppe Marchese
Date of birth: Aug. 6, 1880
Place of Birth: Mistretta, Messina, Italy
Departed from: Naples, Italy
Date of Departure: June 13, 1902
Arrived at: port of New York
Date of arrival: June 26, 1902
Name of Vessel: La Veloce

Maria Pellit(t)eri
Date of Birth: Aug. 9, 1886
Place of Birth: Casteltermini, Italy
Departed from: Palermo, Italy
(can't find Date of Departure)
Arrived at: New York, NY
Date of arrival: Feb. 4, 1911
Name of vessel: SS Madonna


Thank you both, Debbie and Maria, for all the assistance! I am really excited but don't really know where to continue from here. Is this enough info to locate their birth certifiactes. If so, then how do I go about doing that?
Also, can somebody show me where Casteltermini and Mistretta are on the italian map?
Thank you so much! :P

Mark
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by mfjp »

Will be linking it shortly... I am curious too...

Glad for you :!: :!:

mfjp
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by mfjp »

Start = Mistretta End = Casteltermini

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/euro ... ermini&2z=
---------------
another view...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... a&zipcode=
----------------
Mistretta town info... and more maps

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/083/052/mappa.html
----------------

Maria's manifest...

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1067070248

mfjp :P

p.s. Racalmuto is close to Casteltermini... :)
User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
Location: California

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by GlobeTrotter »

Thank you for the helpful maps, Maria.

Have also been discovering some pictures of scenery just for fun...:)

Mark
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?

Post by mfjp »

Are you lucky... if you will be researching from film... you can order film from the Family History Center

Italy, Messina, Mistretta

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Civil registration Film... 1820 - 1865

Census records (Rivel) from 1681 - 1811

Mistretta email
comune@comune.mistretta.me.it

more info to come...

maria
Post Reply