enough info to obtain birth certificates?
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Thanks Debbie,
Just one last question. I've been to the USCIS website, but I'm not exactly sure how to file a FOIA or who exactly I must contact there.
Just one last question. I've been to the USCIS website, but I'm not exactly sure how to file a FOIA or who exactly I must contact there.
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Sorry, I thought I gave you that link, but I left it out.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Hi Debbie, it's me again. Hope I'm not taking up too much of your time, but just had a couple more questions in regards to filling out the G-639 papers that I downloaded from the website you gave me.
In section 4 of the application it asks for specific information, documents or records desired (and to identify them by name, date, subject matter and location). Which information/documents do I need to request in order to find out which city Joseph came from?
Thanks again!
Mark
In section 4 of the application it asks for specific information, documents or records desired (and to identify them by name, date, subject matter and location). Which information/documents do I need to request in order to find out which city Joseph came from?
Thanks again!
Mark
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Request copy of entire file. Especially declaration of intent and application for naturalization. Provide all information you have. Known address and any numbers from the naturalizatoin paper work you have.
This is also a privacy request. Need to complete this secion.
This is also a privacy request. Need to complete this secion.
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Hi Debbie,
I just have a question regarding apostilles. What are they and how do I obtain them? I already have certified copies of most documents, does that still mean I need an apostille on them? Can I send in any original documents?
Thanks for the help!
Mark
I just have a question regarding apostilles. What are they and how do I obtain them? I already have certified copies of most documents, does that still mean I need an apostille on them? Can I send in any original documents?
Thanks for the help!
Mark
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Hi Mark,
I do not have any experience with applying for Italian citizenship. There are websites that deal with that issue. I don't have them book marked, but Wildspirt has frequently listed them. Searching though some posts should reveal them.
I do know (from reading) that apostilles are required on all US documents, even certified ones. The apostille, I believe is done by the state that the documents originate in. Some states have time limits on how long they will do this, like only 2 years from the date the document was issued. You also need to check with the Italian embassy that will handle the application. Some require all US documents to be translated by one of their approved translators.
Good luck and let us know if you are successful - after you find that birth record for your ancestor.
I do not have any experience with applying for Italian citizenship. There are websites that deal with that issue. I don't have them book marked, but Wildspirt has frequently listed them. Searching though some posts should reveal them.
I do know (from reading) that apostilles are required on all US documents, even certified ones. The apostille, I believe is done by the state that the documents originate in. Some states have time limits on how long they will do this, like only 2 years from the date the document was issued. You also need to check with the Italian embassy that will handle the application. Some require all US documents to be translated by one of their approved translators.
Good luck and let us know if you are successful - after you find that birth record for your ancestor.
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Followed this post from the beginning, and am always impressed at Debbie’s information.
I am taking a chance here by posting this info... just don’t want to send you on a wild goose chase as I did to myself... I found another family earlier on... same father’s name... same children’s name... a family of barbers... but they weren’t yours...
But here is another family...
-----------
Town of interest....
City of Racalmuto: Sicily Region
Region Sicily
Province Agrigento (AG)
Zone Insular Italy
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/084/029/
--------------------------------------------------
Manifests of Interest....
Father and son voyage... Giuseppe who travels with son Salvatore - off to PA to join son Giuseppe....
First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Marchese
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Girgenti
Date of Arrival: June 14, 1904
Age at Arrival:  58    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Napolitan Prince
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0015
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2537024501&
--------------------------------------------------
Giuseppe is off to join his brother Salvatore... at this time, father Giuseppe may have returned to Italy...
First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Marchese
Ethnicity: Italy-Italian (South)
Last Place of Residence: Racalmuta, Girgenta, Italy (as transcribed)
Date of Arrival: April 08, 1911
Age at Arrival:  30y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Princess Irene
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0026
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0515%2ETIF
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1102040927
--------------------------------------------
Am hoping that this family could be yours... and if it ain’t ... we just keep on looking...
mfjp
I am taking a chance here by posting this info... just don’t want to send you on a wild goose chase as I did to myself... I found another family earlier on... same father’s name... same children’s name... a family of barbers... but they weren’t yours...
But here is another family...
-----------
Town of interest....
City of Racalmuto: Sicily Region
Region Sicily
Province Agrigento (AG)
Zone Insular Italy
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/084/029/
--------------------------------------------------
Manifests of Interest....
Father and son voyage... Giuseppe who travels with son Salvatore - off to PA to join son Giuseppe....
First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Marchese
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Girgenti
Date of Arrival: June 14, 1904
Age at Arrival:  58    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Napolitan Prince
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0015
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2537024501&
--------------------------------------------------
Giuseppe is off to join his brother Salvatore... at this time, father Giuseppe may have returned to Italy...
First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Marchese
Ethnicity: Italy-Italian (South)
Last Place of Residence: Racalmuta, Girgenta, Italy (as transcribed)
Date of Arrival: April 08, 1911
Age at Arrival:  30y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Princess Irene
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0026
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0515%2ETIF
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1102040927
--------------------------------------------
Am hoping that this family could be yours... and if it ain’t ... we just keep on looking...
mfjp
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Those are very interesting manifests you've discovered!! And the first one could very well be my family, too! I just can't quite make out the city or town they were headed to in PA on the first link you gave me. Maybe founding that out would help us to confirm if it's the right one.
Thank you so much for your efforts to help track down my family!!
Mark
Thank you so much for your efforts to help track down my family!!
Mark
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Rossiter, PA
Years ago... when two S's were side by side... the second S looked very much like an F...
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/244/patown3fi.jpg
This Handwriting site helps...
http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/Handwriting.htm
Here's a driving map of Rossiter PA to Miners Mills...
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... &2s=PA&2z=
mfjp
Years ago... when two S's were side by side... the second S looked very much like an F...
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/244/patown3fi.jpg
This Handwriting site helps...
http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/Handwriting.htm
Here's a driving map of Rossiter PA to Miners Mills...
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... &2s=PA&2z=
mfjp
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Maybe my great grandfather (Joseph) lived there in Rossiter for a while before eventually residing in Miners' Mills? What we know is that Joseph must have been in Miners Mills by 1915 because of WWI registry and definitely by 1920 because of the census records for that area. Hmm...how far back can we find census records in PA? Maybe we could compare the census records of Rossiter and Miners Mills. If we find a Joseph Marchese in both at the same time, then I guess we'll know that they must have been different people.
Thanks again for the help:)
Thanks again for the help:)
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
The Naturalization papers for Giuseppe and Maria finally arrived from the archives today!!!
There are nine pages total, so a lot of information. Here are some of the new facts:
Giuseppe Marchese
Date of birth: Aug. 6, 1880
Place of Birth: Mistretta, Messina, Italy
Departed from: Naples, Italy
Date of Departure: June 13, 1902
Arrived at: port of New York
Date of arrival: June 26, 1902
Name of Vessel: La Veloce
Maria Pellit(t)eri
Date of Birth: Aug. 9, 1886
Place of Birth: Casteltermini, Italy
Departed from: Palermo, Italy
(can't find Date of Departure)
Arrived at: New York, NY
Date of arrival: Feb. 4, 1911
Name of vessel: SS Madonna
Thank you both, Debbie and Maria, for all the assistance! I am really excited but don't really know where to continue from here. Is this enough info to locate their birth certifiactes. If so, then how do I go about doing that?
Also, can somebody show me where Casteltermini and Mistretta are on the italian map?
Thank you so much!
Mark
Giuseppe Marchese
Date of birth: Aug. 6, 1880
Place of Birth: Mistretta, Messina, Italy
Departed from: Naples, Italy
Date of Departure: June 13, 1902
Arrived at: port of New York
Date of arrival: June 26, 1902
Name of Vessel: La Veloce
Maria Pellit(t)eri
Date of Birth: Aug. 9, 1886
Place of Birth: Casteltermini, Italy
Departed from: Palermo, Italy
(can't find Date of Departure)
Arrived at: New York, NY
Date of arrival: Feb. 4, 1911
Name of vessel: SS Madonna
Thank you both, Debbie and Maria, for all the assistance! I am really excited but don't really know where to continue from here. Is this enough info to locate their birth certifiactes. If so, then how do I go about doing that?
Also, can somebody show me where Casteltermini and Mistretta are on the italian map?
Thank you so much!
Mark
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Will be linking it shortly... I am curious too...
Glad for you
mfjp
Glad for you
mfjp
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Start = Mistretta End = Casteltermini
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/euro ... ermini&2z=
---------------
another view...
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... a&zipcode=
----------------
Mistretta town info... and more maps
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/083/052/mappa.html
----------------
Maria's manifest...
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1067070248
mfjp
p.s. Racalmuto is close to Casteltermini...
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/euro ... ermini&2z=
---------------
another view...
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... a&zipcode=
----------------
Mistretta town info... and more maps
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/083/052/mappa.html
----------------
Maria's manifest...
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1067070248
mfjp
p.s. Racalmuto is close to Casteltermini...
- GlobeTrotter
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 25 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Location: California
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Thank you for the helpful maps, Maria.
Have also been discovering some pictures of scenery just for fun...
Mark
Have also been discovering some pictures of scenery just for fun...
Mark
Re: enough info to obtain birth certificates?
Are you lucky... if you will be researching from film... you can order film from the Family History Center
Italy, Messina, Mistretta
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
Civil registration Film... 1820 - 1865
Census records (Rivel) from 1681 - 1811
Mistretta email
comune@comune.mistretta.me.it
more info to come...
maria
Italy, Messina, Mistretta
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
Civil registration Film... 1820 - 1865
Census records (Rivel) from 1681 - 1811
Mistretta email
comune@comune.mistretta.me.it
more info to come...
maria

