Italian Roots Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

I got it from my great aunt Nicki (My grandfather Marco's sister) when we visited her in 2004. She gave me the basic dates and I made profiles based on that stuff. She couldn't remember much about her dad's side of the family, though. That's when I started making a tree online.

Not long after that a distant cousin of my dad's contacted me and got me a little bit more info on the Tedescos. I tried contacting her again on Ancestry. Never got a reply back. I think the tree I just posted may be hers. Not sure. There's still a couple people I want to contact. Haven't been able to because of the paywall on the site.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Here's what pops up when I search Maria on Ancestry. The highlighted people are people I want to contact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

I still believe Maria Tedesco was born in San Pietro in Maida it is about 50 miles from Santa Caterina dello Jonio I believe that's where they met heres some info

Marriage record of Francesco Tedesco and Maria Litria Spano.
INDEX#10
1878 Oct 11th in the town of Santa Caterina dello Jonio marriage of Francesco Tedesco age 27 farmer born and resides in Santa Caterina dello son of father unknown (padre ignoto) and deceased Rosa Tedesco married Maria Litria Spano age 30 born and resides in Santa Caterina dello Jonio daughter of deceased Andrea Litria Spano and Emanuela de Francesco

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043789

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Right. I left the birth place in by mistake. Sorry about that. Probably should remove the birthplace, huh? Will be doing that in a minute. Thanks for the marriage record, Marty. The lady who made the FS profiles got back to me. I'm gonna show this to her. I think she may be confused too. Or there were two Maria Tedescos. Which, you know, is possible.

Thanks, buddy.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Edits have been made and I sent a message to the lady explaining the sources and information I got on Maria Tedesco. The marriage of her parents has been added to her parents' profiles on wikitree. Now there's the issue of Francesco Tedesco and his birth and why it makes an error with Maria.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

I hope we find something on Andrea Spano and Emmanuela Defrancesco. The lady's profiles on FS gives this data about them and it seems a little off. Check it out.

Andrea Spano: b. 1/15/1806 d. 4/8/1872 Santa Caterina dello Ionia.
Emmanuela DeFrancesco b. 1/27/1802 d 10/22/1870 Santa Caterina dello Ionia.

I say it seems off because it looks like Maria was born in their mid '40s.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Maria Litria Spano
INDEX#36
1848 June 25 in the town of Santa Caterina dello Ionia birth of Maria Litria Spano daughter of Andrea age 46 shoemaker and his wife Emmanuela De Francesco age 40 she was baptized in the church of Santa Madre

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 2.jpg.html

Death record of Andrea Spano
INDEX#24
1872 April 8th in the town of Santa Caterina dello Ionia death of Andrea Spano age 66 shoemaker born and resides in Santa Caterina dello Ionia husband of the deceased Emmanuela De Francesco son of deceased Vincenzo Spano and Elizabetta Carioti

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043789

Death record of Emmanuela De Francesco
INDEX#62
1870 Oct 22nd in the town of Santa Caterina dello Ionia death of Emmanuela De Francesco age 66 farmer born and resides in Santa Caterina dello Ionia wife of Andrea Spano daughter of deceased Vincenzo De Francesco and Maria Squillacioti

PG LINK TO RECORD PG 1
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043789

PG LINK PG 2
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043789


Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Francesco Tedesco
INDEX#55
1851 Sept 5th in the town of Santa Caterina dello Jonio birth of Francesco Tedesco son of father unknown (padre ignoto) and Rosa Tedesco age 28 (His father never recognized him so he was given his mothers surname Tedesco

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

His father never recognized him?! So many Italian swears I could say right now.....

Not the worst drama in my family tree. Let me know if you want to hear the tale of Elias Felker. =)
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

At least his mother gave him a name of Tedesco

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Yep. Meanwhile around the same time in Raymond, NH. There was a guy named Elias Felker. He had an affair with Patty Smart in the 1830s. They both cheated on their spouses. A son was born and Elias took off. Patty named the kid after her dad, Jeremiah Smart. The Smarts were a big deal family in NH. Jeremiah Smart and Patty sued Elias for parental custody of the boy. Elias died in 1844. And we think his father Joseph Felker stepped in to raise the kid with Patty.

At least according to various censuses.

This sounds like a movie doesn't it? Genealogy is full of crazy drama. And yea at least he got the last name of Tedesco. Looks like he was named after his grandfather, too. Interesting.

Checking to see if I need anything more. This lady's got the Spano side covered. No sources, though. She listed everyone and has no sources. Any details are always welcome.

Thanks for your help.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Let's see. I still need info on:

Rosa Tedesco
Vincenzo Spano
Elizabetti Cariotti
Francesco DeFrancesco
Maria Squillacoti

I think that's probably it for that side. Unless there are records of their parents, I mean.

Thanks again for your help. Do you think that site you linked has info on these people?
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Caterina Tedesco (sister of Maria Tedesco she stayed in Italy)
INDEX#94
1879 Nov 17th in the town of Santa Caterina dello Jonio in a house on via Papanelli #12 birth of Caterina Tedesco daughter of Francesco Tedesco age 28 farmer and his wife Maria Spano
Sidenote says she married Pasquale Tropiano ( son of Pasquale Tropiano and Rosa Tropiano) in Santa Caterina dello Jonio 1900 Dec 27th

PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=661839

PG LINK TO MARRIAGE RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=661839


Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by Cferra »

Yep And by 1920, the family had moved to Philadelphia.

Pasquale:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... f=LK7X-S11

Caterina:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... f=LK7X-QRD

Members of the family were at my parents' wedding. They lost touch, though, as they stuck around the Philly area. There's also this article I found of the Tedescos sharing Thanksgiving with my great grandfather in Haverhill.

http://www.originsitaly.com/an-italian- ... nksgiving/

The person who wrote that helped me out in 2011 when I was first looking up the Tedesco info.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Italian Roots Help

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Nicola Tedesco (brother of Maria Tedesco )
INDEX#106
1883 Oct 28th in the town of Santa Caterina dello Jonio in a house on via Papanelli #14 birth of Nicola Tedesco son of Francesco Tedesco age 32 farmer and his wife Maria Spano

PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=661839

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Post Reply