Shipped GIava 1843

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Tcocktail
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Jan 2016, 22:22

Shipped GIava 1843

Post by Tcocktail »

I am trying to locate my Great Grandfather's immigration papers. He was suppose to be on the ship the GIava leaving from Naples in 1843 enroute to New York. I check Ellis Island I did not find any record. I understand that not all had to come through Ellis Island.

Does anyone have any idea where I might look for immigration papers? We don't believe he was in this country too long before his death.

Manifest ID: 00000045
Affiliate ARC: 1746097

Any help will be greatly appreciated
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Shipped GIava 1843

Post by erudita74 »

Ellis Island records start in 1892. You can search on familysearch.org, under the state of New York

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1849782

You will need to sign in with a username and password, but the searches and records are free

The following may be helpful-

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Fr ... _1820-1897
Tcocktail
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Jan 2016, 22:22

Re: Shipped GIava 1843

Post by Tcocktail »

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate this and yes, I have the confirmation, date and correct ship. Now looking at the Census record, it doesn't look like he was naturalized but how do I find out?
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Shipped GIava 1843

Post by erudita74 »

I'm personally not familiar with naturalizations for such an early period of time, but there are links at the website below which might be useful to you:

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Un ... gy_Records
Post Reply