I am trying to locate my Great Grandfather's immigration papers. He was suppose to be on the ship the GIava leaving from Naples in 1843 enroute to New York. I check Ellis Island I did not find any record. I understand that not all had to come through Ellis Island.
Does anyone have any idea where I might look for immigration papers? We don't believe he was in this country too long before his death.
Manifest ID: 00000045
Affiliate ARC: 1746097
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Shipped GIava 1843
Re: Shipped GIava 1843
Ellis Island records start in 1892. You can search on familysearch.org, under the state of New York
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1849782
You will need to sign in with a username and password, but the searches and records are free
The following may be helpful-
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Fr ... _1820-1897
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1849782
You will need to sign in with a username and password, but the searches and records are free
The following may be helpful-
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Fr ... _1820-1897
Re: Shipped GIava 1843
Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate this and yes, I have the confirmation, date and correct ship. Now looking at the Census record, it doesn't look like he was naturalized but how do I find out?
Re: Shipped GIava 1843
I'm personally not familiar with naturalizations for such an early period of time, but there are links at the website below which might be useful to you:
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Un ... gy_Records
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Un ... gy_Records

