1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Post by Tanner »

Hi all,

Searching for any articles or obituary pertaining to the 1956 death of Pasquale “Patsy” Jannuzzi. He died in a plane crash, which was sightseeing around Newark airport in 1956 (possibly in September, which is when his death took place according to his SSN Death report). I’m told by family members all 11 passengers died onboard, excluding the pilot. Apparently Patsy’s mother left a movie theatre and was handed a newspaper by a paperboy, and this is how she found out her son had been killed. I am yet to find any documentation about this story. I’d appreciate any help locating a newspaper article or obituary regarding this incident.

Thank you all!
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 237
Joined: 01 Jun 2015, 15:28
Location: USA: New Jersey

Re: 1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Post by ffusiak »

Tanner -

The crash actually occurred in March 1929. Here are some articles - the quality is not great but there is a picture of Pasquale.

https://imgur.com/gallery/crSXjkn

https://imgur.com/gallery/z7OgQuX

Frank
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

Re: 1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Post by Tanner »

Frank,

Once again, thank you so much, you have been pivotal in helping me with my “brick walls!” I can’t make out most of the text, but I recognize the picture of Pasquale! Thank you!
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 237
Joined: 01 Jun 2015, 15:28
Location: USA: New Jersey

Re: 1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Post by ffusiak »

Let me know if there is a specific section you want - as I did zoom in on some of it that mentioned Pasquale. I thought it was interest his first flight and he and his friend paid $5 for a ticket. (page 2 of the Jersey Journal). If you get to Jersey City you may want to visit the Library Reference Room and ask for the entire paper.

WIth brickwallls, I have always found that they more eyes you have the greater the chances of success. I have been helped by so many wonderful people over this crazy 30 year hobby - that I will always pay it forward.
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

Re: 1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Post by Tanner »

Frank,

You have done more than enough, I can read it good enough to get the gist. Interesting how he went as Patrick and not Pasquale, I always thought and anglicizing of names was both sad and interesting.

and oh my gosh, that picture is amazing! I’ll have to buy that from amazon, I can’t believe it! Thank you so much!
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 237
Joined: 01 Jun 2015, 15:28
Location: USA: New Jersey

Re: 1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Post by ffusiak »

I suspect he went by the name Pat and the newspaper people assumed Patrick but I could not confirm via an obit or death notice.

Here is some information from the March 19 paper on his funeral. I am very surprise that the church as Mt. Carmel R.C. since this is a Polish church that handled some of my relatives funerals/christenting, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/4LpXN3t
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: 1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Post by Tessa78 »

Here are links to additional coverage of the crash in NY newspapers...

Schenectady Gazette - 18 March 1929
Far right columns...
http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/hi ... Page=false

And from The Saratogian - 18 March 1929
http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/hi ... Page=false

T.
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

Re: 1956 Newark Plane Crash, Pasquale Jannuzzi

Post by Tanner »

I had no idea this was a Polish Church. I own the baptismal document for Pasquale’s brother Francesco. It is all in Italian and refers to the church as “Chiesa Della Madonna Del Carmine Jersey City.” Maybe this is a different church? Colello is a family name, his mother’s maiden name so he must’ve been buried with relatives, probably becuase it was an availible plot. Very interesting story, like out of a movie! Thank you all for the information!
Post Reply