Name of Mother of Deceased?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
EllenD
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 20:44

Name of Mother of Deceased?

Post by EllenD »

I believe I found the death record of my 3rd great-grandfather: Gennaro MARRA from 1829. I wonder if anyone here can help decipher the surname of his mother. I am attaching both the death record and the entry from the index.

Also, I am used to seeing the name of the spouse on the death records but I do not see that here (unless I am missing it) - her name was Angela Arrigo. It is always helpful for confirmation purposes. Was it common in this time period to not include the name of the spouse?

Thank you for any possible help.

Regards,

Ellen
Attachments
Gennaro Marra Death 1829.JPG
Gennaro Death Index.JPG
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Name of Mother of Deceased?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Mother's surname is Giustra.


Angela
EllenD
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 20:44

Re: Name of Mother of Deceased?

Post by EllenD »

Thanks very much - that is a surname I have not seen before!

Ellen
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Name of Mother of Deceased?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Happy to help, Ellen. I don't know why the wife's name wasn't recorded in the record. Possibily the declarants didn't know his marital status? Or, possibily it wasn't the practice in that particular town that year. You could flick through some other records to see whether that was the case.

Just wanted to mention that when making requests for translations, we do prefer you to post the url to the online records, rather than copies that you have downloaded, and then uploaded here. It then saves us either having to look ourselves for the online record, or downloading them to our desktops and adjusting them to make them more readable. Thanks.

Cheers
Angela
EllenD
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 20:44

Re: Name of Mother of Deceased?

Post by EllenD »

Sorry I forgot to link to the Antenati pages. Thanks for the reminder and your time!

Ellen
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Name of Mother of Deceased?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

EllenD wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 22:56 Sorry I forgot to link to the Antenati pages. Thanks for the reminder and your time!

Ellen
All good!!! :D

Angela
Post Reply