Latona from Campofelice

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 02:40
Location: NY, USA

Latona from Campofelice

Post by Herk58 »

Greetings! I am looking for information on the LaTona family. I am pretty sure that they lived in Campo Felice.

My great-grandmother was Paolina Latona and I believe her parents were Salvatore and Santa. Paolina eventually moved to the US and married Giuseppe Riscili. Paolina was born in Jan 1887.

I'm interested in her birth information, as well as that of her parents.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.. Tom
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Italysearcher »

Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by mmogno »

I am unable to find Paolina's birth act in Campofelice in 1887.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=624836
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 02:40
Location: NY, USA

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Herk58 »

Thanks for your help and the links!

I know that they are out there somewhere.

And thanks for the research hints, Italysearcher
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by rlw254 »

I did find the surname Latona in Campofelice as well as nearby Cerda and Sant'Agata but have not found Paolina quite yet. I am currently unable to find her immigration manifest to help.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 02:40
Location: NY, USA

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Herk58 »

Thank you.. I have tried looking everywhere I can think of and have tried variations on her name hoping that there have just been spelling differences.

I've even gone to the cemetery and hoped for some divine inspiration.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the link to the 10 year (1881-1890) index of births in Campofelice.
While there are numerous listings for Latona, there are NONE with father Salvatore.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

T.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by adelfio »

Pauline Latona
in the New York, U.S., County Marriage Records, 1847-1849, 1907-1936
Add or update information
Report a problem
Name: Pauline Latona
Gender: Female
Spouse: Joseph Riscili
Child: Frances Riscili
Film Number: 000875651

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 02:40
Location: NY, USA

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Herk58 »

Thanks for checking Tessa. The Campofelice reference was from someone who thought that was what they were told. Her great grandfather was supposedly friends with the Riscili family.

Thanks Adelfio. I have that marriage record. That's how I was first able to get Pauline's last name. The marriage is her daughter Francis.
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by rlw254 »

Do you have a clearer version of the obituary posted on ancestry.com? This gives a birthplace but I can't make it out. V- Province of Parlemo [sic]? Very blurry.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 02:40
Location: NY, USA

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Herk58 »

rlw - No, I haven't been able to find a clearer obituary. The archive copy is blurred.

To me it looks like a V..., Province of Palermo, but it doesn't look like Vicari.
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 02:40
Location: NY, USA

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Herk58 »

Could someone help me translate child #17. It looks like Latona but I can't tell.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

Thanks.. Tom
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by rlw254 »

This is Rosalia la Tona born 21 Jan 1877 in Campofelice to parents Vincenzo la Tona, 35, and Giuseppa Cirincione
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 02:40
Location: NY, USA

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Herk58 »

Thanks for the translation. I missed by a bunch, thought I was looking at 1887 records.
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 02:40
Location: NY, USA

Re: Latona from Campofelice

Post by Herk58 »

Still haven't been able to find a Latona that matches my Pauline. If I step back, knowing that she and the family were from the Province of Palermo, is there any other way of searching for the family name or do I have to go through town by town?

The town from the blurry obituary looks like it starts with a V. If it's not Valledolmo or Vicari, could there be another town that's just not listed on the family search site?

Thanks... Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
Post Reply