My ancestor Amelia Platino immigrated to the USA in 1911, on the ship manifest it said her destination was her brother Lorenzo Platino at 300 N 7th St, Brooklyn. However, for whatever reason (possibly because she was a single woman traveling by herself), Amelia was detained at Ellis Island. I am having trouble making out what her "disposition" was. (It doesn't seem like it was her brother Lorenzo, but I could be wrong). Any help deciphering it would be greatly appreciated. See Line 16 in the attached image.
Ellis Island detainment
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Ellis Island detainment
Mrs (Mr) Michelina, Jersey City?
Re: Ellis Island detainment
That definitely looks to be it -- thank you! What's interesting is the writing right before that. It looks like it could be _-i-l (something in-law). Possibly s-i-l for sister-in-law? I know that her brother's wife's name was Maria Michela. That's my only guess since Amelia was not married at that time. Maybe it says something else.
Matt
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Ellis Island detainment
I think Michelina is a variant or diminutive of Michela.
Maybe what I read as Mrs. is "Maria"?
Sister-in-law is a good guess.
Maybe what I read as Mrs. is "Maria"?
Sister-in-law is a good guess.
